/ The RE's Muse: Can you die from congestion?

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Can you die from congestion?

If so, hold my space, I'ma comin.'

I have been deathly ill since this past Sunday evening--super congested, fever between 99 and 101.5, joint pains, aches, chills, and so on. I went and saw my primary care physician yesterday and when I mentioned there was a slight possibility I could be pregnant, he promptly stopped writing the prescription he was going to give me and said I'd just have to 'tough it out.' AGGHH! Doesn't he know that I'm a medication freak? That I'm a firm believer in better living through pharmaceuticals? Okay, not really, but I do tend to want to nip infection in the bud through drugs--and I do think this is a raging sinus infection--what else to explain the vice grip that's lodged itself around my cheeks and eyes every time I a) stand up; b) lay down, or; c) breathe.

To add insult to injury, this morning I went to my RE for my progesterone draw, the results of which will be back later today. I asked if they wanted the phone number for my pharmacy should they need to phone in a prescription for prometrium. The nurse replied that 'if the level is too low today, it's too late to augment it now.' Well la di da. They also told me that there is nothing they can give me for this uber-illness that I have--telling me to 'make the best of it.' Hmm...well, let's see now, today makes the second day of work I've missed and I'll have to use my vacation days to account for them--which means that I'm SOL when it comes time to take my real vacation (which, by the way, we'll be doing this coming Friday)--but I'll just make the best of it while I sit at home, watching unwed teen mothers going on Maury, Montel, Ricki, et al to determine just who their babys' daddies are.... Good times, good times.

As if this wasn't bad enough, hope got blatantly induldged when I left the RE's office. The receptionist and wand monkey each pointed out that sometimes getting sick is a sign of pregnancy. The receptionist told me that she herself got a horrendous cold just before she found out she was pregnant with each of her two children. This is beyond horrendous cold though; this is treading into major flu or virus territory.

Of course, after I got home from the appt and back to sitting around on my butt, I had a lovely case of diarrhea--which for me is usually a harbinger of my period coming within 24 hours. Now, I've been known to have a wacky intestinal tract on a regular basis (been diagnosed with IBS, but that could have actually been the endo) so who knows. Hopefully, it's just the sickness manifesting itself in another equally wonderful way or my system's own personal protest over last night's steak dinner.

So, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter