/ The RE's Muse: Poor red bum

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Poor red bum

Ack! I need your help--urgently.

Little miss Juliana currently has a raging case of diaper rash. It came on quickly yesterday probably because she had some pretty bad diarrhea Tuesday night and all day yesterday. Her little bottom is red, raw, and weeping and her little butt cheeks stick together (despite the weeping). It's extremely painful for me to look at; I can only imagine how bad it must be for her, especially since she screams and cries when we wipe her during changing times.

What can we do to clear it up and as quickly as possible?

Last night we tried to keep her naked as much as possible so the air could dry it out. I called a local pharmacy and they couldn't think of any topical medications to give her. I tried diaper rash creams but they won't slather on because the raw spots are weeping. We did put the blowdryer on cool and aim it at her tush while she played on her baby gym last night to help it feel better (and I think she liked it--she was smiling and wiggling) and we've also been putting baby powder (100% cornstarch) on it as well. I'm hoping the day care makes it a point to double up on diaper changes today (and tomorrow too if the rash is still around--if so, you can bet that Juliana will be naked at home most, if not all, of the coming weekend in an effort to dry it out).

Is there anything else we could try? Do you know of any promising remedies (old-timey stuff included)? Suggestions and advice--heck, even assvice--welcomed and greatly appreciated.

6 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Julianna's bum! My ped's nurse told me to put neosporin (the one with the pain relief) on first then put on lots of A&D, Aquaphor or whatever bum cream you have- it worked for us.
Susan

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor little thing. I don't have any ideas but I hope she gets relief soon.

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my daughters were babies, their diaper rashes were always yeasty. My ped had me buy the over the counter Lotrimin liquid, from the Athlete's Foot/anti-fungal area of the drug store. Worked like a charm. Every time.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Twinkle Toes said...

aquaphor works wonders and also, lasinoh or any lanolin cream you may have lying around works wonders too! I can't remember if you breast fed or not--but the cream for the nipples works wonders for diaper rash too! Good Luck.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Cricket said...

It's yeast. Definiitely yeast. I believe that was the only kind of diaper rash my son got. Once you get some yeast cream (we used prescription stuff from the ped), you will never have the problem for more than an hour again. It works wonders and does it quickly.

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We JUST went through this with my son, and I'm seriously hoping we're done. My ped recommended hitting the local Walgreens for "probiotics" and dumping the contents of one capsule daily into a bottle of whatever you're feeding her -- that helps stop the diarrhea -- the rash won't stop till the stools do. Also, consider making every other bottle pedialyte -- generics are fine. My son is baby #3, so this is "from the trenches" assvice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter