/ The RE's Muse: Don't speak it

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Don't speak it

I've long been one of those people who won't say something potentially bad out loud because, after saying it, it usually happens, i.e., "It's been a long time since I've gotten a speeding ticket." Then voila! sometime soon after (minutes, days, whatever), bam, I get a speeding ticket. Note I didn't get a speeding ticket recently--I'm just giving you an example of the freakish craziness that goes on in my brain at times.

So now it seems that Miss Juliana is--dare I say it?--on a fairly consistent 3-hour schedule. And I mean, damn close to three hours straight up on the clock. She eats around 8 and 11 a.m., then at 2 and 5 p.m., and then again at 8 and 11 p.m., 2 a.m. and 5 a.m. For the most part, after the night time feeds, she goes right back to sleep (hallelujah!)--especially since we swaddle that girl like she was a criminal intent on breaking out of Alcatraz. She usually also goes back to sleep for a bit after her 8 a.m. meal. Both 11 a.m., 2 and 5 p.m. find her up for a while after eating and we engage in some play time (okay, so how much "playing" does a 6 week old do? and by playing I mean tummy or back time on the Baby Einstein mat). She then chills in the swing (oh how I love that Oce*n W*nders swing!) before a nice leisurely nap. And she's also pretty good about napping after the 8 p.m. meal as well.

Well, of course, now that I've written this, I bet the whole thing goes to pot. I mean, it's been good for several days now so I feel confident calling it a schedule but...it could all implode in my face just..like..that.

I'm also a slacker in that I hung up my boobs--yep, weaned her and I do believe that the milk machine is now dry. Feeding her formula seems to have helped me reclaim myself...and a bit more precious sleep. Typically, I take the 11 p.m. feed, then A takes the 2 a.m., and I then take the 5 a.m. (allowing me at least 4 hours if not more--sweet j-sus--of uninterrupted shut eye). It's not perfect nor does it work every night but man, is it nice to finally see a light at the end of the tunnel sometimes. Okay, so it's a long tunnel and the light's usually a coming train but it's still nice. So, yes, I'm a bad mother who's selfishly stopped breastfeeding but really...a happier mommy equals a happier baby, and a saner mommy probably equals a saner baby too. In fact, I can honestly say that I feel more bonded to her now that we're bottle feeding. We look each other in the eyes and she responds to my voice. It's lovely, truly. We didn't have that with the breast feeding. Instead she just stared off into space or at the monster boob itself.

And now that I've spoken of the 3-hour schedule, let's see how tonight goes.

4 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Blogger JenP said...

Fingers crossed!!! And held tightly!!

Hoping it's not just a fluke and is just one of the really amazing steps in the adventure!

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Twinkle Toes said...

Good for you, Dee for reclaiming your sanity and doing what feels right for you and the baby.

I am struggling with whether or not I want to breast feed or not and am afraid to go straight to bottlefeeding....we should talk.

I am also a big believer in schedules-- I am so excited for you with your well-oiled schedule. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it sticks for you.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Toffee said...

Sound like you have a good baby there. I don't think you're being selfish about the feeding thing. Remember what is important is that she is fed, cared for, and loved no matter how you go about doing it. I really believe and sense that the baby really picks up on mommy's vibes. If she is happy and rested, baby is too.

I know what you mean about the big boob thing...one day I was bigger than her head!

My kid seems to find a schedule and then likes to mix it up a bit....sometimes 2 hours and occasionally 4 hours (hallelujah!) at night. I was getting stressed out one particularly bad day, but then I remembered something I read on a blog about baby schedules...remember that they are babies, not robots!

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've got yourself a great baby there. Polly has been on her own sweet schedule early on, and like MOxie said, the only times it's out of whack is when she is hitting one of those developmental milestones. Otherwise yes, she eats on or very close to 7 am, 10 am, 2 pm, 5 pm, 8 pm, 11 pm and then to sleep through the night (knocking vigorously on wood).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter