/ The RE's Muse: T-minus 3 weeks and counting

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Monday, August 22, 2005

T-minus 3 weeks and counting


How time flies when you're home with a baby. Three weeks from today I return to work. Has it really been that long? It seems like only yesterday that we brought her home.

Miss Juliana is growing so fast. At last check she was up to 8 lbs., 9 oz., and had vaulted into the 25th percentile (she was in the 10th previously). Destined, I guess, to be a petite flower, she's just now the size of some newborns! She goes for her next round of vaccinations in October (at her 4 month visit) so I unfortunately have no clue how much she's weighing nowadays. She's finally in N size diapers and out of preemies though but I think it may be a bit before she's into the size 1s.

She's become a very smiley baby and has gotten more vocal. She coos, and gurgles, and I coo and gurgle back to facilitate "conversation." We definitely have a routine--up to eat, play time for an hour or so (face-to-face tickles and love or time on the play mat or in the bouncy, etc.), down to nap...repeat again anywhere from 2 to 4 hours later. It's a lovely little routine that we both enjoy. And I swear she's bigger after every nap :-) or at least it feels like she's growing that fast!

But best of all is that for the past two nights she's slept between 5 and 6 hours. After talking with some friends of mine--one of whom has a pediatrician relative at her disposal--A and I made the decision to introduce cereal into Juliana's nighttime bottle. So for the past two evenings, her final feeding before bedtime has consisted of 4 oz. of formula (her usual) mixed with 2 TB of oatmeal cereal for babies. Voila! Apparently, the stick-to-your-ribs consistency of the oatmeal keeps her full longer, which means more sleepy time for her and for us. I almost felt human when I woke up this morning...and I'm hoping for more of the same tonight.

In the meantime, AF came and went and with it comes the thought that--holy moly--perhaps I could get pregnant again. Now, I'm not thinking this in a 'good' way (I can't even begin to contemplate having another baby anytime soon--my hands are way too full with one!). No, I'm thinking it in an 'oh jeez, does this mean that now I've got to worry about birth control?' kind of way. A weird concept when you previously tried to get pregnant for 4 years with medical assistance. I have to say it was nice not having a period for so long, not-so-nice now having to deal with tampons, pads, and condoms. Can't say I missed any of it. Plus, it's almost like they're all reminders of my former life...LBB (life before baby) which is such an abstract concept to me; so foreign yet so much a part of me. This 'new' life I lead is so weird yet welcome. It's also very welcome for Grrl so please go share your love with her as she embarks at the next station.

As for me, I'm interested to see the changes that will come when I go back to work. It'll be a lot to manage and I hope I can do it. We'll see. Should at least be good for a few laughs...or cries...or both.

7 Comments:

At 2:09 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Juliana is such a pretty little girl. I love hearing about her.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

My goodness she is getting so big. I guess you are right that Julia will kick into a growth spurt too. She gained almost a whole pound from her check up last week.

When she was super teeny what did you do for a routine? Julia is too small to fit in a bouncy seat, and I feel so bad having her in the bassinet. I've put her in the car seat a couple o times so she is sitting up and can look around, but she is so squished in there.

I tend to hold her all day. Which isn't bad, but I need to start figuring out how to handle putting her down when I have to pee, instead of handing her off to Frank. Just curious what you did.

Juliana is just gorgeous!!! I am sure you are having so much fun!

Amanda

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Twinkle Toes said...

What a beautiful little girl--you are so blessed. LBB--a new one for me and a bit shocking to think about. I am so happy to read about how content you all are and wish you the best transition as you get ready to go back to work.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger April said...

Oh Dee... I am so happy to see beautiful pictures of your tiny little princess.

Was checking the news today and thought of you. So strange to think I don't have to worry about hurricanes anymore. Thinking about where you were a year ago when we were waiting for Charlie & Ivan. What a difference a year makes.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Heather said...

She is ADORABLE! And you should know that, thanks to you, I am considering scoffing at my pediatrician's recommendation and going the cereal-in-bottle route. Another month?? Come on. How many nights has HE gotten up with twins?

 
At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Babies should not be fed cereal in a bottle because there's a risk of choking. And have you thought of why she stays fuller longer? because her little gut is not ready for it. Have you ever eaten something that didn't sit well with you and you had that horrible feeling of fullness that wouldn't go away soon enough? I imagine she's going through something similar. "One pediatrician relative" does not make him/her the authority. Even the AAP knows to recommend 4-6 months to introduce solids and even in that case with a spoon never in the bottle.
http://web.archive.org/web/20030217213547/babyparenting.about.com/library/weekly/aa021399b.htm

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger sweetisu said...

Going back to work is definitely not easy, when you want to spend every waking moment watching her grow so you don't miss a thing. I struggled with it for months..

I hope it transitions well for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter