/ The RE's Muse: Progress

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Progress

I love Moxie yes I do, I love Moxie how 'bout you? Okay, seriously, Moxie, thank you thank you thank you. Your comments have helped me feel so much better (as have everyone else's--thank you also).

Perhaps I'm not doing such a bad job with this breastfeeding thing--at least not today. Today I called the pediatrician because I was so worried. So they had me come in this afternoon to see the doctor and possibly the lactation nurse. But it turns out I didn't need to see the lactation nurse because my little oinker has gained 6 oz. in the past 5 days!--which the doctor was very happy with. I'm pleased to say Juliana is up to 6 lbs., 1 oz. (now she's above her birth weight) and the doctor declared her 'perfect.'

I asked the doctor about my only being able to feed Juliana 7 times a day as she is so difficult to wake up. She said she was fine with 7 feedings, especially since Juliana is gaining weight just as she should and typically has 8-10 wet diapers and 3 or more poopy diapers a day. So long as there's lot of pee going through her, all should be good. The doctor did say that she'd like me to try to keep Juliana awake so she gets a longer feeding and therefore gets the rich hindmilk that a longer feed entails. I just need to keep the snacker awake long enough to get the good stuff. Sometimes she'll do a good 10, 15, or even 20 minutes so it's not like it's every time. But I know I need to do my best to keep her up--tickling, poking, prodding, rubbing, stripping her to her diaper, etc. But the doctor was okay with her sleeping so much--after all, she said, that's when babies do their growing. And pretty soon I'll be wishing for her to go back to sleeping so much she added.

Last night saw our first marathon feed. From around 10:15 to 11:30 or so, Juliana would eat for 10 or so minutes, take a break, doze a little, then want more. So I sat on the couch in my tres chic maternity bra, flaps open, bottle of water at my side, pillow on my lap and baby off and on the boobs. So now I know what a cluster feed is like, perhaps it is a growth spurt as she's hitting the three week mark this Saturday. We'll see...but for now, I feel better about my abilities. Perhaps I'm not as bad a mom as I thought I was (until my confidence is again shaken, that is).

We go back in 8 days. By then, the doctor would like to see her gain another 7 oz., bringing her to 6 1/2 lbs. Here's hoping we blow by that number :-)

4 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Outstanding! You are doing great, and little J sounds like a champ :)

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Toffee said...

Hi Dee

Your baby is beautiful! I am so impressed you are doing the breast feeding thing so well.

I don't know how your BM's are now, but mine were a bit wacky also. For too much, too soon, I ate some banana and yogurt...seems to slow things down and rebalance. Perhaps your thyroid may be out of whack? Common in postpartum.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Juliana is gorgeous! And try not to stress about the breastfeeding. It is hard but it sounds like you are doing a fabulous job!

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dee, I've been behind again and just saw that your baby has entered the world. Yay!!!!!!!!! And she is B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L! Must take after her momma, huh?

I know you'll master breastfeeding in no time, if you haven't already. I would like to do the same but I'll have two and that would be too painful, not to mention, inconvenient.

Keep up the pics of little Juliana. Did I mention she is beautiful?!?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter