/ The RE's Muse: Cooking with gas

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Cooking with gas

Too cute, no? Lately, she's become fixated on shoes lately--mine, daddy's--there's nothing this gal likes better than trying on shoes and clopping around the house. This shot was taken while she was in the process of doing just that this past weekend. I do believe she's shooting me the patented Dee ass-face I'm prone to make when you do something stupid (mom--why do you insist on taking my picture now?!).

In somewhat exciting news, yesterday was a standard run-o-the-mill perinatalogist appt. The dr (not my usual doc of the two partners) was pleased with my blood sugar numbers, my BP, and everything else of concern. She asked if there was anything I wanted to talk about (wow-how rare is that?) and, while I wasn't entirely concerned, I casually mentioned that I hadn't really felt the girl moving about that day. She'd done some wiggles and niggles here and there but that was it--completely unlike her movements of the past few weeks. She was moving though and I was fine with that.

The good doc asked if I had a few minutes to get on the NST machine just to be sure. So I did...and she passed with flying colors with lots of accelerations and what not. There were a few random painless contractions that showed up but nothing to worry about. When the nurse took the NST tape in to show the dr, she soon came back and said there was one deceleration of the baby's heart that the doc didn't like the look of so they wanted to do a biophysical profile (BPP) to check my amniotic fluid. She was concerned it was too low and that may have been the reason for the decel. Panic starts my thoughts whirring in my head. 30 weeks, low fluid, delivery, NICU....

Fast forward a half-hour, and I'm in for the BPP, where it's revealed the my amniotic fluid is just fine (12.9), right where it needs to be and the baby looks great. She's estimated at 3 lbs., 13 oz., and is firmly in the 60th percentile size-wise. J never measured above the 10th percentile in any of my visits. Apparently, it's related to the GD--they tend to be bigger. Lucky me and my lucky vagina.

Also, the baby is no longer breech but she is now transverse. So it may be that she's trying to turn head down or perhaps she's just comfy laying across my body (though I don't think so as my hypothesis is that this is why her movements have been so subdued yesterday and again today).

The last nugget of wisdom I took home from my appt is that, because of the medication I'm now on for the GD, they'll want to deliver me at 38 weeks, so we're looking at February 3rd or thereabouts. Apparently, with the glyburide on board, they don't like to deliver after 38 weeks. Smaller baby, maybe? I don't really know the theory behind the practice but will ask at my next visit.

Now that we've had this potential scare with the amniotic fluid, the doc wants me to start twice weekly NSTs Christmas week. In between seeing both the OB and the peri every two weeks, I now get to add twice weekly NSTs at the peri's to the mix. My appt calendar is looking pretty full for the next 8 (!) weeks.

8 weeks until we meet this little one. I guess I need to go pre-register at the hospitals and soon, huh? (Hospitals, plural--the one local where I had J, and the one about 20 miles away with the level III NICU, just in case). And yes, I'm still worried about a speedy labor & delivery...perhaps more so now that it's getting closer. And closer.

7 Comments:

At 11:03 PM, Blogger Erica Kain said...

What a relief that she's measuring well, and that the decreased movements are not ultimately of concern. It is so scary when those wily babies get "mellow" -- don't they know it's their JOB to keep up the tap dance and soothe their moms? And eight weeks? Holy moly! I guess you ought cook up a name too at some point!

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Argh. Drama at the peri's office is never a good thing. Glad everything turned out to be ok though, even if you are going to be quite the busy mama for the next 8 weeks!

And that J -- she is a doll. P & E are also very into my shoes. (And purses -- I guess E is quite secure in his masculinity).

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Toffee said...

Glad to hear 2.0 is doing ok.

Wee One loves shoes, shoes on her feet, on her hands, etc.

My kind of gal!

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

J is adorable. And how nice that her love of shoes begins so early? It's so girly!

I'm happy to read all is ok at the peri's, and I'm sure the frequent monitoring (though a pain) will give you some peace of mind. I can't quite believe 2.0 is almost here!!

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger lagiulia said...

I'm glad that your worries are unfounded. What a relief! It's a pain to go to appointments so often, but I'm glad they're watching you closely. I didn't have GD, but my babes were big, too. In the 90th percentile for singletons, but they were twins! At 34 wks, they were born at 5lb.1oz. and 5lb.12oz. I guess that might be partly why they came early. I hope your little one continues to grow nicely, but maybe not get too TOO big ;)
Thinking of you!

PS- your recent comment on my blog was really kind- thank you.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Miss W said...

Wow -- I can't believe you're getting so close! Glad she's such a good size for gestational age (the lowercase was born at about this point and weighed 2 lb 11 oz).

Seems like just yesterday we were waiting for the news of Miss J's arrival! Keeping my fingers crossed that this drama is a one time thing and BG 2.0 waits until February!

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger VTek said...

J is pretty in pink, and how neat that she turned 18 months on the 18th!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter