/ The RE's Muse: Things get interesting

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Things get interesting

Last night, I was woken up by a strong, somewhat uncomfortable, contraction at around 5:30. The contractions kept coming, one after the other--each pretty uncomfortable--every 4 minutes for a good twenty+ minutes. I drank a tall glass of cold water, contractions kept coming. Had a second tall glass of cold water, they started to space out. 6 minutes, then 10. After about an hour or so, I managed to fall back asleep...shortly before the alarm was due to go off, and just as J uttered her first peeps of the morning from the monitor. Yeah, then I was up for good.

Luckily, I had a regular OB appt scheduled for this morning, where I told them about the contractions and what took place. I just wasn't feeling like 'myself' this morning. They chalked it up to dehydration and told me to be sure to drink enough--especially since it's been freezing here the past three nights (honest, it's been in the low 40s--completely out of season for this time of year for us) and our heater has been running non-stop, drying me out quite nicely. I had cracked lips when I woke up with those contractions, so I do think I was pretty dry in general but still...scared the crap out of me.

As I laid there in discomfort, I kept thinking, can I drive myself to the hospital (40 minutes away w/the level III NICU)?, should I wake up A?, this baby can't come now, it's too early...etc. It was nerve wracking and I still can't shake the doubts and worry it brought up. Since then, though, I've had two or three very random contractions, with some slight discomfort, so I guess things are okay. Crossing all crossables at that last one and sitting lazily on my ass on the couch today, taking it very easy. Please please please, let this have been a random occurrence.

The other interesting thing that came up at today's visit was that in the three results from my most recent 3-hour GTT last week, one of them came back high. It was my 2 hour result--the one my OB said 'of the three, that's the one you don't want to come back elevated' (though he never did elaborate why this would be the case). So, he thinks I should go on a diabetic diet just to be on the safe side and also because he would like me to be able to deliver this baby vaginally as I did with J. That got me thinking to myself, she can be delivered any which way, I don't care how she gets here, just get her here healthy and preferably about 10 to 12 weeks from now.

So next week, I meet with the nutritionist to go over a food plan. And I'm to start finger sticks 4x a day again after that. Not like I'm a stranger to this but I was hoping to skip it altogether this time and thought I'd managed to since I'd (technically) passed all of my GTTs. Shows what I know.

Anyhow, since my nutritional consult isn't until next week, I've got a small reprieve--meaning tomorrow it's turkey and trimmings time. Good to know that at least I can have a 'last hurrah' before the curtain comes down on my typical eating habits.

Hope each of you enjoys your own Thanksgiving 'hurrah' come tomorrow (and if you're reading me from outside the U.S., hope you have a lovely Thursday)!

8 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger Cat, Galloping said...

happy thanksgiving! hope that's the last contraction you feel for 10 more weeks!

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Oh my goodness, Dee. I would've been freaking out, too! I'll definitely start saying no contractions prayers for you. In the meantime, enjoy your "last meal" tomorrow!

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Toffee said...

I didn't know about the cold glasses of water thing...hmmm...I guess it helps everything "chill." Happy T-day, save room for pie!

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger Miss W said...

Damn, Dee -- you know how to get a heart racing! I'm not going to say anything other than I have my fingers crossed for you, too.

Hope your thanksgiving is EXTREMELY boring, if you know what I mean!

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger lagiulia said...

Dee- I hope things stay stable for you while longer. Did they measure cervical length? (Sorry, I know that's personal, but I had preterm problems at 27+ weeks, so I can't help but wonder). Anyway, it sounds like things have settled down, but do take it easy!
I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Take care!

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Contractions? Stay away from Dee, you hear? You'll get your turn soon enough, just not yet.
There.
I hope they're listening.

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I'll be praying! I cannot believe you are this far along. I remember last time we were in the same boat with our journeys, this time your boat is almost at the shore, and my boat is still tied to the dock!

 
At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy mother of all things disturbing... I'm so happy all is okay. Hope that last meal was a good one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter