/ The RE's Muse: My cup runneth over

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

My cup runneth over

Today marks J's 16-month 'birthday.' I can't believe it's really been that long since she arrived. How the time has flown. A and I laughingly chart her growth in terms of how tall she is in comparison to our family room couch. Used to be she stood a little higher than the cushions; now she's able to climb up on that couch. (I tried to include a recent photo but bl0gger is being, well, bl0gger.)

Apparently, in honor of her 16-month mark, today she learned how to give real honest-to-goodness kisses, with little puckered lips and a 'mwah' sound (okay, she got that from watching A and I demonstrate how to give kisses, the noise was simply for demonstrative purposes but it appears that she thinks it's a required part of the process and really, I mean how cute is that?)

I could say so much about how she's started talking and recently (be still my heart) took to calling me "mama," or how she's got a real thing for her favorite blankie, or how much of a snuggler she's become. But really, is my kid the first to do those things? No, she's not, nor will she be the last.

I will say that, though, that my heart just swells with love for her. And that love seems to grow on a minute-by-minute basis...no lie. Just when I thought I couldn't love her more than I already do, I realize that I can. How do you put into words the deep, binding, and precious love you have for your child?

I guess you don't. You just ride the wave, enjoy the ride, savor the feeling. And know that you are but one of many many mothers who love their children this way...a way that defies measurement and knows no boundaries.

6 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She sounds like a true joy--so glad you are enjoying your hard-won motherhood.

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't see your email address listed on the blog. Do I have placenta brain?
Email me at mae_midwest@yahoo.com

 
At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 16 months J!!

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger VTek said...

She's got one month on my D - Happy sweet 16!

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Toffee said...

MWAH! Happy 16 months!

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Erica Kain said...

Oh kisses, REAL kisses, how wonderful, and congrats on the milestone. We're at 13 months over here, and all of the scanty kisses that are given out around here all go to ELMO. Man, what do we have to do to get in line? I guess we'll take a note from you guys and demonstrate!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter