/ The RE's Muse: It's not the itching, but the scratching

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Monday, July 24, 2006

It's not the itching, but the scratching

Dear sweet mercy...I have got it bad. And by "it" I have no clue what the hell I've got.

Back in the early weeks of pregnancy with J, I developed this odd rash on the backs of my calves, the insides of my lower thighs (towards the knee) and on my elbows. Back then, I saw a derm, who had no idea what it was, other than some odd manifestation of pregnancy. He prescribed an ointment (pregnancy category C) and advised minimal usage of it only when necessary. Yeah, I think I used it two or three time but it was of little help so I recently chucked it out. After about a month or two, if memory serves me correctly, the rash up and left just as it had come--without warning.

Fast foward 20 months, I've miraculously gotten knocked up with #2, and the rash is back with a vengeance...in the same exact locations. This time, I didn't bother going to the derm only to be diagnosed as "I don't know WTF you have got, you pregnant freak but here's a potentially tetraogenic drug to take only as necessary." No thank you. Instead, I'm opting to suffer it out, and lord, I am suffering.

I wake up in the night unconciously scratching my legs. I slather on dye-free, fragrance-free lotion throughout the day to moisturize in hopes that will help (it doesn't). I sometimes even get bold and put on a little bit of topical b3nadryl in hopes that will help (which it doesn't). And I consciously scratch them throughout the day to just get.a.little.blessed.relief. What can I say? I have little self-control.

And while it appears that my elbows are improving, my legs are worsening. I've scratched myself raw in spots. Some of them have little scabs on them. I absolutely will not (and cannot) wear shorts in public.

Anytime now, you can go away rash. Take leave and return from whence you came...please?

Anyone have any good (homeopathic, pregnancy-friendly, natural, etc.) remedies to recommend? Anyone?

*crickets*

7 Comments:

At 5:50 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Oh my goodness, you poor thing. I have absolutely nothing helpful in terms of a remedy to offer here, but I will pray for a speedier recovery than you experienced with J!

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Cat, Galloping said...

i've been itchy itchy itchy myself lately, even where i don't have psoriasis. i just stocked up on aveeno oatmeal (for the bath), body wash (for the shower) and lotion, which has a nauseating menthol scent but a pleasant tingle. It helps a little.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger WriterGrrl said...

What about that pain relieving spray stuff they give you in the hospital to spray on your nether regions? I know it's itchy, not painful, but it might relieve that, too -- they sell that stuff at my local grocery.

Good luck with it -- it sounds positively awful.

 
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about medicated powder? Like Gold Bond? I second the oatmeal idea too. I have been itching like crazy myself lately and suspect some hormonal cause.
I hope you find some relief soon!

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I am sorry you are miserable. It is probably something called PUPP (Pregnancy induced Urticaria with Papules and Plaques). My friend had it throughout the 2-3rd tri, her OB gave her a concoction that helped just a little with steroid/menthol/something else in it. From what I remember it is sort of an allergy to the placenta? Hope you get some relief soon!

 
At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) Drink lots more water.
2) Flax seed oil!
3) Dandelion root!

:)

*a lurking doula-to-be*

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Miss W said...

I was just about to suggest that maybe it's PUPP. One of our neighbors got that (oddly *after* she delivered). Unfortunately, they moved and I have no idea what medication she was given for it -- I would assume it was a pregnancy-safe thing as she was exclusively breastfeeding at that point. It may be worth asking your OB about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter