/ The RE's Muse: Scab picking

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Scab picking

In talking with my best friend yesterday--whose SIL is in the early weeks of pg with #2--she divulged that the SIL's pg was an 'oops.' It seems that the SIL and her husband had merely been talking about whether or not they wanted a second child as they have it pretty easy with baby #1 (who is a year old) and have gotten things down to a good routine/schedule with her. They weren't sure they wanted a second child and then...bam. Apparently, if you're an uber-fertile SIL all you need to do is miscalculate your cycle days and bam...pg. So I guess their decision has been made for them. There will be a second child in their family.

This reopened my infertility wound and got me to thinking once again about the unfairness of IF and whether or not there will be a second child in our family. If we want to even try, we'd need to do it fairly soon 'cause, at 36 (and with a borderline FSH of 8 point something at last check), I ain't getting any younger (please know that I'm not crapping on being an infertile over a certain age--infertility, as we know firsthand, strikes without prejudice--young, old, black, white, male, female--you get the drift). But for me, my age is a consideration as is my FSH. And then of course there's the CAH (my regular endocrinologist--not an RE--recently took me off my low-dose steroid--meaning it's unlikely that I'll ovulate on my own going forward once my androgen level rises back to its abnormally high levels. He said if I'm not trying to get pg, I shouldn't be on the steroid).

So if A and I decided we wanted to try for a second child, we'd need to get back up on the horse and soon. This scares me as I don't think I can go through the trying and its transient hope and heartache all over again. But, on the other hand, if we were to try again and luckily succeed, I think I'd be overwhelmed with two small children fairly close in age. And then I think to myself that I wouldn't want to take more attention than necessary away from Juliana. We waited almost five years to have her. I want to enjoy her and celebrate every one of her many milestones to come for a good long while without any thing or anyone else (except for A) competing for my time and attention. Not only that, but I come from a long line of only children myself so I'm pretty content with one (A is one of three and long had hopes for us to have two children one day).

So the idea of having a second child...it's there, vaguely tickling the back of my mind. With so many friends still dealing with IF and building their families, I feel slightly gluttonous in even contemplating the idea of having a second child when so many are still hoping for their first. And it makes me kind of sad that most--if not all--of us have never been one of those women who can get so lucky and have the decision made for her by an 'oops' baby. There won't be any children conceived that way in my house. Heck, there may not be any more children conceived in my future at all...and sooner rather than later, A and I need to decide if that will indeed be the case.

6 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger Toffee said...

2 of my dh's friends wives who went thru IVF for child #1 are both currently pregnant with #2 the non-IVF way. I don't know if this is reassuring or just more pressure on me (you) to believe that this could happen.

I feel like you do about the attention issue and whether or not to space out #2 or even wanting to go thru it all again (the trying to get pregnant part, not the having a child part)

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Having a secondchild is always a tough decision and its even harder when you have to travel the infertility highway. Good luck deciding.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Ugh. I hadn't seen your post when I put up my own entry today. Same exact story over there as far as not knowing whether to go for any more and feeling guilty even contemplating it. You know, I used to think I'd "get over" being infertile if I ever managed to have a kid, but every time I hear about an oops baby, I realize that I'll never, ever, really be over it after all.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger chris said...

I'm sorry you have to start thinking about this so soon, but I say go for it. My sister and I are really close in age and it was always kind of nice.

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always, we're in the same boat ;-). We're thinking too...and it's not easy. And like you, age is the issue so if it's going to happen, it has to be soon. I think we'll probably go for it, though I'm dreading it. Absolutely dreading it.
An "oops" is so not in our cards...there's only one way for us to conceive and lord knows it's not any fun.

I

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger DeadBug said...

You're in a position that I sort of half-glimpse for myself, if I get there. I'm 36 and just don't know if there will be time for a second before my eggs give up for good. Of course, as we don't even have the first one in hand, it feels really presumptuous for me to think along those lines.

Gmail ate my address book up through August of this year; would you mind dropping me a line at dead.bug.blog@gmail.com?

Best,

Bugs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter