/ The RE's Muse: Well, that was fun

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Friday, May 20, 2005

Well, that was fun

So yesterday I went to the perinatologist for another non-stress test of the girl--which, of course, she failed yet again. But more terrifying than that was when the nurse told me I was having contractions during the 35 minutes the baby and I were on the monitor.Yep, they were coming 5 minutes apart, but I didn't really feel them which seemed to surprise her. I mean, I felt a slight something but nothing that made me take any real notice (and quite frankly I think I'd been feeling those little 'somethings' for a few days now--scary). So she went and told the peri, who decided that I needed to get over the hospital and pay a visit to L&D's triage unit--but not before they did an ultrasound of the baby (because of the failed non-stress test) to make sure she was okay, which she thankfully was.

Off I go to the hospital, first to admitting and then to maternity. Where I am promptly put into a gown, and hooked up to the fetal/maternal monitor where they see that I'm still contracting 5 minutes apart. My BP is high--understandably--because I am flipping right the fuck out in terror. After watching me for about 45 minutes, the decision is made to start an IV and see if hydrating me will stop the contractions. The third time was the charm when it came to putting the IV line in. But after almost an hour of IV fluids, I'm still contracting at about the same rate. Which means that I was then the lucky recipient of an internal by the OB on call (a partner from my OB's other office who I'd never met). Luckily, he declared that "there is nothing going on in there" and I think I began to breathe again. After a bit more time on the IV--even though I'm still contracting--I'm told I can go home. That I'm more than likely having Braxton-Hicks contractions. That was it--no discharge instructions, nada. When I asked what I should do if something happens, I was told to call my OB. They did ask when my next appt with the peri was (this coming Monday) but that was it. Free to go but be sure to drink plenty of fluids and take it easy. No problem there. But for all I know, I could still be contracting as I type this though I don't think I am. What little I may have been feeling seems to have gone away.

So that was my Thursday night in a nutshell. Confidence shaken, fear real. Please oh please oh please, just let this sweet little girl stay in there a little longer, she's not done cooking yet. And please let my body cooperate and do what it's supposed to, no more of this nonsense. Oh, and happy 33 weeks to me....

5 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

Dee, I hear ya on the scary. I am glad everything worked out ok and that baby girl is doing fine.

I have been the recipient of 2 visits to L&D for contractions and 2 IV's. I was told the same thing. Drink lots of fluid. And take it easy. They really don't know what to do for us. If they were coming regularly I have to say I don't think they were BH. BH don't last that long and they are not regular. I was told some women just have contractions throughout the later part of the pregnancy.

I tell my husband I want a baby that is well done! No rares around here.

Thinking of you and glad you and baby are ok!!!!!

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and glad you were sent home.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger chris said...

You're right where my neighbor is. She's been on bedrest for a couple of weeks. I hope you both can hold out for a few more.

Take care.

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Lala said...

I second the "Keep her cooking" thoughts. I hope you have a good weekend with no more scares.

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger JenP said...

Oh Dee, how terrifying!! So glad to hear it was just BH contractions and dear little girl...pleaaaaase!! Just a few more weeks!!!

Hope you can have a really quiet weekend and that this was just a one-off event until the big day!

Thinking of you both.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter