/ The RE's Muse: I've got a sense about this

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Friday, May 13, 2005

I've got a sense about this

Only one more prenatal class to attend: newborn care. Last night we finished the breastfeeding class and earlier this week we completed our childbirth classes. Last week we did the infant CPR class. 3 down, 1 to go.

Let me tell you, A was bored to tears at breastfeeding class last night. 3 hours of information and watching our class instructor--a middle-aged woman--grab at and squeeze her own boobs (through her clothes, of course) for much of that time wasn't the way he was hoping it would go. He was hoping for at least a little video action showing some bare boob but sadly for him, as I expected, that wasn't the case. Yes, he's twisted to a degree but I love him to death.

In childbirth class we went over the three stages of labor and what each entails emotionally. In the first stage, the instructor mentioned how the moms would, for the most part, be able to laugh, joke, still be lighthearted, etc. The second stage finds the moms a bit more introspective and quiet. And during the third stage, moms can be downright mean and find little humor in anything. The instructor encouraged the dads to remember this and to just do/don't do whatever the moms want, which usually means no more joking and light-hearted banter. This part is all business and most women will be very serious. To which A responded to me, "I hope you don't mind and I'm telling you now, but I'm still going to be joking with you and making inappropriate comments so please don't get mad or try to hurt me physically."

I know that the info the instructor gave us does not mean all women in labor will become raving bitches during the third stage. The info she presented was more like the most 'common' scenarios she's seen in her 25 or so years of nursing/experience in L&D. Now, I've alway been one to use humor to get through the good and the bad--my mantra from early on has been that if they're laughing at/with you, they can't be yelling at you (yeah, tells you about the early state of affairs in my life). I am so hoping that I can keep my sense of humor during all three stages of labor and beyond...I know I'm going to need it; plus it's served me well over this lifetime. And A--well, he's always kept me laughing, even through the pain.

If I can maintain a sense of humor in light of all that we've been through to get this far, there's hope for me. Heck, I'll need it as we enter the final weeks and I begin seeing the peri twice a week (starting next week). And today it'll come in handy for a regularly scheduled OB appt. I love it when people laugh in response to something I've said and I've been told on more than one occasion that I should consider being a stand-up comedienne (especially flattering from someone who is one)--not that you'd know it from how dry my blog is. Somewhere in the midst of all this infertility business, my sense of humor took a beating, fell to its knees and is now trying valiantly to reclaim its former glory. Here's hoping it makes it back before the end of June/first week of July. I think I'm going to need it.

1 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooooh you're a better preggo than me. I didn't go (and now it's too late) to any birth/breastfeeding/baby classes. Well, I've already done the whole taking care of newborns thing so really DH is the one who needs it. But everything is all filled up at our hospital now and I kind of got this strange rebellious "I don't wanna take your classes anyways!" thing going on. I'm sure I'll regret it. Oh well!

and I've already lost my sense of humor, I think I'm in the third stage. I'm ready to push. Lets get this over with! Why is July so far away!!! I want our babies to be born!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter