/ The RE's Muse: Another year older, but not necessarily wiser

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Friday, March 18, 2005

Another year older, but not necessarily wiser

So...tomorrow is my birthday. I offer this not to receive any obligatory congrats or warm wishes (though they're heartily appreciated) but for the fact that I can't believe I'll be 36. Inside I still feel like the self-conscious, crazy 21 year old I was when I met A. How did I get to be an "adult?" When did this change take place? Even more importantly though, where did the years go? No idea....

As an early birthday gift to me, yesterday found me at the OB's office for a regular visit. The basics: lost one pound since my last visit two weeks ago (for a total gain so far of 24 pounds); urine negative for protein and sugar; BP 118/76; fundal height where it should be' baby's HB "lovely." Ah, but I also learned that I am now entering the 'critical zone'--that period of time in pg where if you're going to develop gestational diabetes, it will happen. This can be anywhere between now (24 weeks) and 28 weeks. So my used-to-be-every-four-week OB visits have now been bumped up to every two weeks. It seems they want to really monitor my urine--not to mention that I'm to continue faxing them my four-times-daily blood glucose readings twice weekly. But the upshot is that I got a bit of good news--an 'early' birthday present if you will--because of my risk for GD, I will be getting at least one more ultrasound (around 28 weeks) to make sure la principessa is still measuring where she should. Hallelujah--another u/s! 'cause lord knows I'm going through serious withdrawal, having not had one since the level II on Valentine's Day. Next up is my peri visit, March 28th.

Other than that, in honor of my entry into the world 36 years ago tomorrow, A and I will join some dear friends tonight for dinner at a local kid-friendly establishment (since all our friends reproduced some time ago and have children in tow). Then we will drive down to the Keys house for some R&R (okay, I'll get the R&R while A will get to do some home projects there, namely make sure a roof leak he fixed on our last visit two weeks ago took). Early evening Sunday will find us at my MIL's for birthday dinner. All in all, a big birthday weekend...not...and that's just fine by me.

Oh, but there is one more thing...typically every year for my birthday, I buy myself something fabulous ("fabulous" not necessarily meaning expensive but perhaps something that I've had in my sights for a while) but this year I am completely out of ideas and have seen nothing that's caught my eye recently. At the same time, I've been trying not to spend too much $ since we may actually have a third member of our family in a few months and well.... So, anyone have any suggestions? Buehler?

7 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

I'm glad to hear your appointment went so well, I know how nerve wracking it can be have to wait so long between them to get the kind of reassurance only an ultrasound can bring.

As far as the gift is concerned, I would maybe suggest splurging on a fun but stylish mom item of some kind. My mom is actually the big splurger in my situation, and for my birthday last month she got me a lovely Kate Spade bag that can be used for baby or not for baby. Just a thought.

Enjoy the weekend!

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Julianna said...

Happy, happy birthday!

Well, you can't get a nice bottle of wine or champagne, so how about splurging on some lovely make-up or moisturizers?

I love Bobbie Brown make-up and face creams since I got a make-over last year. Truly, my skin feels like velvet when I use her products regularly.

Have a wonderful birthday.

 
At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!
How about starting a baby book with the baby's ultasound pics? I've been meaning to do that. Although it might make you cry. Go for the expensive makeup counter makeup, I always love doing that, get yourself one of the gift bags!

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Happy Birthday Dee! I hope you have an excellent weekend and that you hit upon the perfect gift to yourself.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger chris said...

Breast pump? But seriously, maybe a gift certificate for a spa treatment when the baby is a few months old and you desparately need the pampering but might feel too guilty about spending the money?

Happy birthday!

 
At 12:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A beautiful stylish girlie-purse, in a non-practical but beautiful color (Lola's Kate Spade idea is fabulous!).

Happy Birthday Dee!

(glad to read that all is well with Principesa!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter