/ The RE's Muse: Hello little person

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Hello little person

Well, what do you know? Today's OB visit found the BP back in normal range. Still no protein in my urine--a good thing indeed and let's hope it stays that way! My most recent labs haven't come back yet--anyday now--but my labs from last week's visit to the peri came back and all were normal. That means that I'm on the appropriate level of dexamethasone so the principessa's genitalia should be completely normal. I'm relieved at the continued good news.

Oh, and we had another u/s today--our first in almost 2 months! It was a pleasure to see our little person again. And I do mean little. She's not growth-retarded or anything like that. At 27 weeks, she's about 1 lb., 13 oz., and measuring 26w1d growth-wise. The tech reassured us this was completely normal--especially since u/s has a one-week margin of error to begin with. Despite my girl's small size, everything measured within normal range (femur length, abdominal and head circumferences, etc.). As the tech simply put it, 'you and your husband aren't big people.' And as A reminded me--'remember, she's got to come out eventually so small is good.' The baby was head down, which would explain why I keep getting kicked just below my ribs recently. We got some beautiful profile pictures and the u/s went a long way toward reassuring me about the baby's growth. I was so worried she'd be a big baby given my predisposition for gestational diabetes, which typically results in larger-than-normal babies. But so far, so good.

On the GD front, this past weekend saw my after dinner blood glucose readings going up so the peri's nurse called me on Monday and told me the doctor would like me to exercise after dinner instead of in the afternoons as I had been doing. So the past few nights I've exercised after dinner and what do you know? My readings have gone down. That and I'm really monitoring my food choices so maybe that has something to do with it too. Of course, the nurse did tell me that if my levels didn't come down, I'd be started on injectable insulin. And today the OB reminded me that GD will usually exhibit right around 28 weeks, meaning I've got a week to go to see what happens. Of course, it could happen after that but...we'll see. Chant with me please: "No GD for me, no GD for me...."

Other than that, the invitations for my baby shower have been sent out. And OMG, I've already started to get a few gifts in the mail from those unable to attend. Wow, who would have ever thought that infertile me would one day have a baby shower? (Not me, pessimist that I am.) But I'm so very grateful, and starting to look forward to it--even though I hate being the center of attention (perhaps I'd do well to get over that, what with labor and delivery being one big exercise in being the center of attention--and then I'd do well to forget ever being the center of attention again once the wee little princess arrives!).

4 Comments:

At 6:57 PM, Blogger JenP said...

Dee,

_SO_ glad to hear things are going well lab wise and that the bp is DOWN! Whoo hoo!! I'm eager to hear how the GD screening goes and how the exercise at night works...few weeks behind you so I'm nervous! Nervous!!

I agree with the tech, that since there's a week +/- with the scans that your little one sounds absolutely perfect, and could you please have a talk with Sophie about this head down thing? Because I'm getting a bit nervous about this girl being as bullheaded as I am and not flipping.

And congrats on the shower! What a lovely moment for you and your wee girl!! So exciting Dee! So exciting!

Hope you two are doing well! Best wishes.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I'm so glad to hear that everything was so good at the doctor's visit...and woohoo on the blood sugar levels coming down.

Huge CONGRATS on the upcoming baby shower. That is so very exciting.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Lala said...

Oh goody, a shower. I love a good shower. I'm still catching up here Dee but thanks for the kinkage.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Are you still doing ok? Hope all is well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter