/ The RE's Muse: Opening doors

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Opening doors

I must confess. When A and I moved into our current home, I didn't designate one of the rooms our nursery-to-be. I never thought we'd get that far. Instead, I thought of the four bedrooms as a master bedroom, an office, and two guest rooms. In fact, only one of the two guest rooms even has a bed for guests, while the other just has boxes and boxes we've yet to unpack.

It is this room that we decided on as the nursery. This meant pulling the boxes out, going through as many as possible, getting rid of stuff, and so on. Mind you, when we moved into this house, the previous owner left us with a flea problem so we ripped out all the carpets and lived on the concrete slab for awhile. We laid laminate flooring in our bedroom, berber in the office, and we recently finished tiling the main parts of the house (living room, dining room, family room, and kitchen). This left the guest bedroom and the nursery to be done.

This past weekend, A put down laminate flooring in the nursery. A few weeks before that, he hung the blinds in there. While he was putting down the flooring, I put up a switchplate cover that matches the bedding we've selected for the crib and plugged in the matching nightlight. And the other night, A hung the valance over the window. That night, as he showered, I walked into the nursery and just stood there, taking it all in. It was almost too much to consider. I just never thought we'd have a nursery. As I stood there, I smiled and yet, I had to walk out when the threat of tears was too much. I had to shut the door. If anyone had told me we'd one day be preparing a nursery, I'd have told them they were mistaken. But here we are. And somewhere deep inside my heart, a door was opened when I entered the nursery that night and pictured all that it will be.

**********
OB update: Had an appt with Dr. Hotstuff yesterday. Go figure--my BP was up (153/87) for the first time in weeks. This is only the second time this has happened and, if you'll recall, the previous time was also with Dr. Hotstuff. Coincidence? I think not. Perhaps he gets my heart a'revvin' and all being as he's a pretty good looking fella.

So, what does this BP issue mean, you ask? Once again, I'll be doing a 24 hour urine test, creatinine, uric acid, and some other tests to make sure all is good. I've got no swelling, nausea, dizziness, vomiting, etc., but was told that if any of these come up, he'll be sending me to labor & delivery. Hmmm...I've gone from being told to call them to being told I'm to go to L&D if these things happen. Kinda scary. And since this Saturday is my baby shower (did I just write that? holy cow), I'm gonna play hooky from work tomorrow and stay home to pee in a jug all day. Then I'll bring my pee and my veins to the lab at 8 a.m. Saturday morning when they open. I'll then be heading off for my 9 a.m. manicure/pedicure appt before heading to the shower, which kicks off at noon. Priorities and all. Hopefully the tests will come back okay but I try not to worry about that right now. I'm trying to stay in my own "pool of calm" (Julianna at My Eggs are Cooked would be so proud of my efforts) these days.

The wee girl continues to move, though her movements have started to change from kicks and pows to more twisting and turning. I guess space is getting to be at a premium in there. Lately, she's been entirely on my right side--so much so that when Dr. Hotstuff did the doppler yesterday for her heartrate, he couldn't find a thing on my left side. You'd be proud--I actually didn't panic. Just told him that she's been on my right side for about a week now and--bam--there she was when he moved the doppler over there. Told ya so doc.

Other than that, we started our childbirth classes this week. Nothing to really say about that. My perinatalogist visits have been good (most recently on 4/22), my weight gain has slowed to one pound in the last month (I guess there's something to be said for gaining it all during the first and second trimesters) and my sugars have been okay--not great, but acceptable. Of course, I cheat here and there which explains the lack of 'great' on their part. Bad me. But, all in all, I'm not doing too poorly for 30 weeks along; let's all cross our fingers things stay that way.

6 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, Blogger Twinkle Toes said...

I am so happy for you. Wow, 30 weeks!!! What a milestone!! You are truly my hero for being so calm--I can sense your glowing from here.
FYI--I gained 6lbs last month (after gaining 4lbs from the prior 4 months) and my doctor has asked me to watch it--and hopes I don't gain at all this month!!

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger JenP said...

30 weeks, Dee?! You sound as though things are going well and that's brilliant news!! Good luck with the jug again...I'm sure it's an experience in itself.


And best wishes for the shower!! Whoo hoo!!!
Hoping all goes well with the nursery and you guys have a brilliant 10 weeks to countdown.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Lala said...

Nursery pics, can't wait to see nursery pics! 30 weeks, wow. Good for you!

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Toffee said...

Hi Dee,

catching up on blogs today...glad to hear you are doing well and getting to do some "normal" mommy to be things. I understand the emotional thing about the nursery. I still haven't done anything to the room to be. I have publically been a "normal" pregnant woman and chatted about names, plans, etc. and have happily bought baby things but hidden them away in the closet for fear that my dream might still not come true.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Wow...30 weeks...that is unbelievably fabulous. Have an awesome time at your shower.

 
At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Dee, 30 weeks already! Sheesh...it hits me because I'm 3 weeks behind, and your milestones mark what's just around the corner for me. I learn an awful lot from you!

I know how strange it is to be told to head to L&D...I'm happy to hear that you have no swelling or any of the other creepier symptoms which signal big problems. Hoping your urine test comes back pristine and you get to enjoy an event-free 10 more weeks!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter