/ The RE's Muse: Ho hum

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Friday, March 04, 2005

Ho hum

No big news to report. I continue to wrestle with the mom dilemma, especially since she e-mailed me the other day to say she'd found a place to live in the new "old" town and would be heading back there on April 1st (instead of August 1st as previously planned). I really appreciate your feedback on the whole mom issue. I guess I'll just have to see, something I'm not especially good at doing. I'm an 'immediate action/results' kind of gal. Now on to way to much pg talk so please skip it if you like.

On other topics, yesterday I had a regular OB appt. Whoo-hoo, here's to 22 weeks! I got to meet doctor #4 (out of 5 in the practice--alas, the final one left to meet is dr. hottie) who was pretty nice. It was the first time I had my fundal height measured, but I didn't think to ask what it was so I have no idea if it was normal or not. I imagine it was or I think he'd have said something about it. Instead, he simply measured me and then wrote it in my chart.

Luckily, I continue to have no swelling, or headaches, or protein/sugar in my urine (again, though, no one has told me I do/don't have it, I fly on the assumption that they'll tell me if/when I do). We got to listen to la principessa's heartrate on the doppler and the doc could barely get it. I told him she's usually more on my right side and, voila, he found her loud and clear exactly where I said, which made him chuckle. She's a dancer--though she has no rhythm!--who likes to tap dance on my uterine walls, whacking me with her arms for good measure. (A few nights ago was the first time A got to see her move as she whacked my belly but good while we were listening to her heart on the doppler before bedtime.)

When doc #4 took my BP yesterday, he merely wrote it in my chart. I know enough about my wonky BP to ask what it was (130/82). He then goes on to mention that it's up slightly from my previous appts and he's wondering if it may be the start of an upward trend (me, I think it was a result of the salty triscuits I ate a half-hour before the appt combined with the stressful drive to the doctor's office from work). So now I will be measuring my BP at home twice a day and letting them know if I notice an upward trend. Two successive measurements after yesterday's appt found it down to 125/81 and then 114/77. So let's hope it was the triscuits and traffic combo that caused the initial slight elevation.

See the thing is though that my version of congenital adrenal hyperplasia (the rarer 11-beta version) has hypertension as a side effect. I've been on anti-hypertensive meds in the past but have been off them for about 2 years now (a point I made to doc #4 at the visit). Despite that, doc #4's slight concern about the start of an upward trend now has me worried about pre-eclampsia. As if I don't have enough to worry about. At the same time, I'm just going to keep measuring my BP and continue/start new things to do what I can to take good care of myself. And, yep, that means I'm going to have to cut out some of the eating (but, damn, food tastes so good!) as I've gained 20 pounds so far (with 18 weeks left to go=a lot of potential for more, ahem, maternal 'growth'). Yikes. Again, though, it's not something any of the docs has mentioned as a problem--I know that excessive weight gain can't help the BP any.

One other thing that came up at the visit is that I won't have to take the glucose tolerance test to check me for GD at 28 weeks. Since I measure my blood sugar levels at home 4x a day, there's no need. Yea! But I will need more bloodwork next month--CBC, syphilis and HIV (state of FL requirements).

So that's it in a nutshell, v boring. I go back for my next appt in a few weeks and see the peri again at the end of the month. See, very 'ho hum' indeed but ho hum is nice, no drama in these parts--hell, I think I've had enough of that to last me a lifetime!

3 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Blogger Toffee said...

Fundal height = measurement from top of pubic bone to top of uterus, in centimeters. After 20 weeks each centimeter is supposed to correlate with the number of weeks you are pregnant. Just another clue for your doctor to know how you are doing.

Yay for an unremarkable doctor's visit!

 
At 12:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boring is delicious, isn't it?
Here's to a lot more ho-humming : )

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Boring is wonderful....boring is good...lets keep things boring for about another 18 weeks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter