/ The RE's Muse: No news yet and there won't be for a while

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Thursday, February 03, 2005

No news yet and there won't be for a while

Sorry to say but I've not yet gotten word of the FISH results. How I'm hoping the call comes today but I realize that tomorrow is a very real possibility as well. I will say that when my cell phone rang this morning, I near jumped out of my skin to get it but, alas, it wasn't the doctor's office.

Turns out my realtor had a very similiar experience with a false-positive quad screen with her second child. She too came up at a high risk for for trisomy 18 and had to do the amnio with a full 2 week wait for the results--which she said was the most stressful time of her life. Fortunately, her son did not have it. And apparently, this same thing also happened to a friend of hers so perhaps it's more common than I thought. Of course, you know how it seems that when something potentially bad (or bad) happens to you, you're convinced you're the only one who's ever faced/been through it--even though deep inside you know you're not. Thank you each for facing this challenge with me and for helping make my wait that much more bearable.

So that's where we stand today. I will post as soon as I know more.

UPDATED to add: And now I know more. Turns out--this after I called the peri's office a little while ago--that there was too much blood in the amniotic specimen for the FISH test to be run. The report came back today stating this. The blood could have been from the needle going in, or something else (though the nurse didn't specify what), but it makes it impossible to distinguish maternal cells from fetal cells. So the only thing that can be done is to do a standard chromosome analysis of the specimen--which will take anywhere from 10 to 14 days. I'm wondering if someone can just kill me now and get it over with because really...I can't take much more of this shit. Apparently, there are no breaks to be caught around these parts. Just fucking great. So please excuse me while I go break down, just when I thought I was fresh out of tears.

10 Comments:

At 5:41 PM, Blogger JenP said...

Oh Dee...

I'm so sorry they screwed up your sample. I can't imagine how frustrating this is. I can't believe the test is going to take so long.

Please know I'm sending you so much love and support right now. I can't imagine how horrible it is right now, but please know you're in my thoughts and I am mentally willing those labs to work faster. Faster!!

As for the quad screening, Matt and I declined it due to the rate of false positives and the fact that he and I both decided we would not due to amnio. In NZ the false positive rate is upwards of 35% which I felt was too crappy. Damn these stupid tests.

I hope time flies and you get those results back really, really soon, and until then, I hope you can get some rest and sleep well. I hope you're doing ok.

All of my best wishes to you and your husband during this time.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Julianna said...

Oh no. I am so sorry. almost 2 whole weeks! That is torture.

Thinking of you.

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh God. Unbelievable.
I am so sorry you have to deal with this.
How COULD they????
Shit.
Menita
(lifesjestbook)

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Soper said...

Aww, shit. What is it with the two week wait?

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dee,

I'm so sorry. Arrrggggh! May this be the last stressful two week wait you ever endure.

Thinking of you.

xxoo,
Emily

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have found making a meth lab out of scrapbooking paper really passes the time... What? Not your thing? Okay, well, my thoughts are with you & I hope time goes by fast. If you can, sleep a lot (that's what i did, but I'm not the healthiest person in the world dealing with stress.)

Marla
Middl Way

 
At 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you're hanging in there. I'm thinking of you.

- getupgrrl

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger E. said...

Holy crap -- what next?! I am so sorry -- I cannot imagine how stressful this must be. I am hoping for good news at the end of this nightmare.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I'm so sorry you have to wait even longer, sweetie. That just sucks.

Hoping & praying that all is well with the little one, and that you are able to be distracted during this horrible time of waiting.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Oh no...I'm so sorry the test got screwed up. Praying that everythign comes back fine!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter