/ The RE's Muse: Information overload

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Information overload

Today was my first appt with the high-risk OB and all I can say is 'ohmigoodness.' Really, the amount of info and such that I left there with was completely overwhelming.

First things first, all measured right on. The seahorse is still thriving, now measuring 3.2 cm (1 1/4 inches) and had its arm/hand up to its face and was moving all around. "Himorshe," as my SIL has christened the seahorse, is measuring slightly ahead at 10w1d. My cervix was long and closed, and everything else was good. Now for the not-as-good.

Because of my insulin resistance, I'm at a higher risk for developing gestational diabetes and given my mild hypertension, and I'm also at a higher risk for pre-eclampsia. So...I'm going to be monitored very closely--in conjunction with a regular OB in the practice who I'll see for the first time on the 20th. I will alternate seeing him every 4 weeks and the high-risk OB every 4 weeks so, essentially, the visits will be staggered between them. That means I'll be visiting an OB every two weeks up until my third trimester (given that I get that far) and then weekly from there.

This Sunday, I will begin a 24 hour urine test to check me for sugars, proteins, you name it. Monday finds me at the lab for multiple blood draws (to be done when I deliver my--no lie--big orange sealed 'vat' of 24 hour urine--that must be kept chilled during said 24 hours and delivered promptly at the end of time period). I can do that, no problem. It's the rest of it that gets tricky.

Now I'm not complaining but...wow, get a load of this:

Monday I am to begin a 2,000 calorie a day diabetic diet--even though I'm not diabetic (um, not yet is their thinking). I was given a plethora of papers, food guidelines, etc., to help guide me as I make bold steps into this new world. Oh joy.

But wait, there's more. Come Monday, I am also to begin checking my blood sugar (glucose) level with a glucometer four times a day--even though I am not (yet) diabetic. I will check it first thing in the morning and then 2 hours after breakfast, lunch, and dinner each day. So I then got a lesson in how to do the whole finger prick blood draw with the OneTouch meter. And I'm to fax my daily glucose levels to the diabetes coordinator at the OB's office on a weekly basis. My insurance company was called, notified of this development (meaning the doc told a little white lie that I have diabetes), and they are sending me my own OneTouch glucometer, EDA=Friday.

Oh, and because of our mc back in August, we get to meet with the genetic counselor in three weeks to go over our odds for potential anomalies in this pg. And help us determine if amnio, CVS, or whatever else will be right for us.

They're not fuckin' around at this practice, nosirree. And so come Monday, I'm not fuckin' around either. Diabetic diet--check; finger prick blood levels--check; doing whatever else I will need to do to help see this pg to term--check.

It's going to be a very long 8 months until July 8th. Here's hoping I make it that far.

7 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, Blogger Julianna said...

Hang in there Dee. I know it is really scary. At least it sounds like you have very good doctors.

Glad to hear the seahorse is perfect in his/her home.

Take care. Congratulations on the great ultrasound.

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger ankaisa said...

At first I thought that that is one fast growing baby, but then I realized you must have forgotten the dot between those numbers! But I do hope seahorse will one day be 32 cm and even more.

Good luck with your diet. It must be hard, but if it helps...

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Lala said...

Actually July 7th would be better, that's my birthday! I'd like to share it with the seahorse if that's ok with you.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Toffee said...

COngratulations on your successes so far!
Remember to rotate sites where you poke your finger or you may get some lovely calluses.

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there Dee...you sound like you're dealing with doctors who are optimistic, are doing everything they can to guarantee a safe pregnancy and aren't filling you up with negative crap like you have to put with from infertility doctors.

Wishing you luck for a smooth pregnancy...and beyond.

xxxooo,
Emily
scrambledeggs

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger April said...

Oh Dee - what wonderful news (always looking on the bright side here!). Glad to see your "seahorse" is growing so well, and due on perhaps the best day of the entire year (my birthday - can you tell?).

Thinking of you, and hoping that while frustrating - you find some level of comfort in the extra care you will be receiving.

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing you the best of luck and congrats on the seahorse.

I can't remember if you were taking metformin or glucophage, or if you plan to continue taking it through pregnancy. However, if you are interested my OB has provided me with some info and articles that point to the safety of the medication during pregnancy and indications that it can be helpful for those of us with insulin resistance in our attempt to avoid gestational diabetes. If you're interested in the article, just email shorty1kanobi@hotmail.com

Mandy
(from infertility is funny)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter