/ The RE's Muse: Cutting ties...kind of

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Thursday, December 02, 2004

Cutting ties...kind of

Well, it's official. As of today, I am no longer Dr. Rub's patient. Sniff, sniff. I have been released to the perinatalogist, who I will see for the first time next week (moniker TBD then).

Today's u/s was lovely, really. Dr. Rub himself commandeered the dildo cam, and the first words out of his mouth about 10 seconds after insertion were "everything looks great; heartbeat looks great." How that man must have known how I needed to hear that; how hearing that meant I could keep breathing. He then turned the monitor toward me so I could see everything and commented that "It looks just like your husband," to which I replied, "Are you trying to say he (my husband) has a big head?" We shared a laugh and got down to stats.

I'm measuring a day ahead of my 8w6d. And in addition to seeing the heartbeat, we saw the umbilical cord as well as the pulse in the umbilical cord, which was pretty cool, for lack of any better descriptive terms for it. We also saw little arms and legs and a big head. All were incredible to see.

The perinatalogist practice that I'll be going to shares the office with Dr. Rub and his partners which means that I'll still get to see the staff and Rub as things (hopefully) keep progressing. Rub even said, "Oh good, I'll still get to see you." Then he went over to speak with the perinatal doc I'll be seeing next week. He wanted to know if she wanted me to stay on the prednisone I currently take (for the congenital adrenal hyperplasia) or if she preferred that I switch to dexamethasone. Dex crosses the placenta (unlike the prednisone) and better suppresses androgen levels--critical for sex organ formation if I'm carrying a girl, which we won't know for some time but apparently starts forming around 9w, so says Rub. Turns out the new doc does want me on the dex so Rub wrote me a new script and I begin that tonight; goodbye prednisone. And goodbye Rub...parting is such sweet sorrow. But I'll still get to see him and the wonderful girls in his front office--each of whom got a small parting gift from A and I today. Yes, I'm a suck up but it just seemed like we needed to say 'thanks' in some small token way. Small word...big meaning.

4 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Blogger Julianna said...

That is such fantastic news!! I am so happy for you.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger E. said...

Wonderful, wonderful news!

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY! Congratulations! That's amazing and beautiful!
Hugs,
Jen/VintageUterus

 
At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing you more good milestones!

marla
Middle Way

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter