/ The RE's Muse: Save the drama for your mama

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Friday, January 05, 2007

Save the drama for your mama

Wow, two posts in one day.

For many years now, my life has been virtually drama-free and I prefer it that way. I'm past the age when drama was exciting; now it is trying, a general pain, and more...so I generally just avoid it at all costs.

But now? Not so much.

The good news is that 2.0 passed today's OB visit and subsequent NST. Mama, however, did not pass today's office visit. My initial BP was 150/80...a remeasurement a few minutes later was 164/86. I've got some minor swelling in my feet (and I have had no swelling to date, and had absolutely none at all during J's pregnancy). Of course, once they tell you your BP's up, you (if you're me) start to worry 'cause you know what that potentially means, which of course doesn't help with making the BP go down. Vicious cycle that.

My urine was clear, to my knowledge, but I was sent home with orders to slow down, take it easy, and to do a 24-hour urine test Sunday with a visit to the lab for a PIH (pregnancy-induced hypertension) screen and complete metabolic panel on Monday. With J, I did develop true PIH at 37 weeks which is why they induced me the following day.

As of now, I'm at 34 weeks. The nurse suggested I get down to the level III NICU hospital sooner rather than later to pre-register so I'll be doing that tomorrow. Apparently, having gestational diabetes ups the chance of developing toxemia (aka pre-e) so that's the fear now.

The good news in all this is that 2.0 appears to be a good size, or so the doc thinks. While I'm presently at 34 weeks, the belly is measuring 36 weeks (I knew I was dealing with a big kid here--again, thanks GD!). The growth u/s is a little less than a week away when we'll get an estimated weight. Knocking on everything wood that I get there. At this rate, every day is a blessing (and I say that though I'm not in the least "religious"). And though being "a good size" doesn't guarantee healthy, I'm thinking positively.

Four doctor visits next week, my only "free" day is Wednesday...and no, I'm not complaining in the least. If you've got any good thoughts, please feel free to send them my way. And if anything goes down on this end, I'll post asap. Thanks for your concern :-)

P.S. There may be hope for me with my name choice after all...A had apparently been telling his entire family that we were going to go with my #1 name for some time now. So it may be that J picked/picks the middle name. We'll see. For now, it's not such a priority when there's a bigger potential drama afoot.

8 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

Hi Dee...your post gave me flashbacks to my pregnancy dramas. Blech. Hate the BP thing. Hate the GD. Hate the combination. Hate the worry making the BP go up higher. Hate the 24-hour urine catch.

So sorry you are going through it all again. Definitely sending good thoughts for you and 2.0.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Cat, Galloping said...

Oh Dee, I'm sorry for all the drama. 34+ weeks is awesome, though, and I know 2.0 will do great whenever she arrives. I remember looking into this and even if 34 weekers spend a little time in the NICU, there's no long-term problems. Another 2-3 weeks would be great, of course, but it sounds like you're getting great monitoring to ensure both of your safety. Thinking of you!

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger WriterGrrl said...

Holding a good thought for you!

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sending tons of good thoughts your way. I hope you have lots of good news to report this week.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger lagiulia said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for all the worries! At 34 weeks, with close monitoring, you shouldn't run into many problems in terms of the baby's health. My guys. 34 weekers, were in the NICU for 3 and 4 weeks, but that was odd- probably had to due with cramped quarters due to being large-sized twins. Most 34 weekers spend less time in the NICU than that (not dismissing the difficulty of that stay for the parents, but just trying to reassure you). Sounds like you're doing all you can, and hopefully you'll have a little more time to bake the baby.
Hugs to you!!!!!

 
At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetie, you're doing great. I did three of those 24 hour urine tests (it is just me, or how WRONG is it when you have a JUG of your own PEE just SITTING in your bathroom??) and I remember the stress of my own PIH worries.

Good luck, sweets. Like Amanda, hate the worry cycle. Hate it all...you'll be great!

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Oh no, Dee, I hated reading this. It hit altogether too close to home. But cat is right -- 34+ weeks, though not ideal, is still good. 2.0, even if she came tomorrow, likely wouldn't need more than a week or two (tops!) in the NICU. (Believe me, though, that I completely understand even five minutes in the NICU is too much). Praying for you and sending all kinds of good thoughts your way.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Miss W said...

I had to do the 24 hour urine catch -- horrifying. Seriously...giant jug of pee in the fridge??? Gah! (And in reading your comments -- why was I told to keep it in the fridge when others got to keep *theirs* in the bathroom???)

Hoping that the drama goes away quickly. I won't give you any of the pat statements about how well babies at whatever gestational age do -- fact is, it's a crap shoot no matter what the gestational age (up to and including full term). But I will say with a level III NICU, you'll get the best possible care for 2.0. Wishing you all the best and at least 3 more uneventful weeks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter