/ The RE's Muse: A rose by any other name

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Friday, January 05, 2007

A rose by any other name

Finally...as of this evening, baby girl 2.0 has a name (though, my apologies, I'll be keeping it to myself until after she makes her arrival--nothing personal, just a little superstition on my part).

Tonight A and I picked 4 first name options and 4 middle name options, wrote them on slips of paper, folded them up and placed them in one of his hats. We then let J have it in picking the slips. She picked two first name slips first (A's #1 choice and an 'alternate' choice) followed by a middle name slip. So we went with his first name choice and the middle name.

I have to admit I was a bit put out when I saw that it was his name choice that came up. I had my heart set on my choice--which J picked out on her fourth dip into the hat, after the middle name slip came out, but by then we were officially done with the picking process.

I think A could see I was a little miffed because he said, 'ask my sister what I've been telling her the baby's name is going to be,' i.e., my name of choice (which prompted me to lightly smack him on the shoulder and remind him that we're not telling anyone until she's here so he shouldn't have done that). He then said, 'let's just name her what you wanted.' I felt bad and told him that I didn't want him to acquiesce like that and let the name combo from a hat stand. We had earlier agreed to let J pick and let that pick stand, no matter what.

After all, that way, years from now, when 2.0 complains that every fourth girl in her classroom has her name, I can point the finger at J, saying 'blame your sister--she's the one who picked out your name.' (Okay, I won't really do that--the blame will be placed squarely on A's shoulders.)

But damn, I really wanted my pick to be the one that came out of that hat first **said while stomping my foot petulantly and scowling**

4 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger VTek said...

Whatever it is, I can't wait to hear it!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I can't believe how close you are to meeting 2.0. Has this sped by or is it just me?

Can't wait until your family becomes four...

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Heather said...

If it makes you feel even the slightest bit better, I was always one of a million Heathers, and it never bothered me in the slightest. I always figured, hey, that must mean it's a great name!

 
At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh I can't wait! She's almost here!

I'm sorry you didn't get your name...that is a tough situation. I'd be pouty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter