/ The RE's Muse: Down and up

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Down and up

Happy belated new year :-) I hope your start to 2007 has been a smashing one so far.

Smashing was not exactly how I would describe my start to 2007 in terms of this pregnancy. Baby girl 2.0 failed last Friday's NST courtesy of numerous heartrate variables. The followup u/s (aka Biophysical Profile) found that my amniotic fluid had decreased even further from Tuesday's u/s (from 10 to 9.3--with 5 being the number that gets you admitted to the hospital).
Much fluid drinking commenced at that point and I'm happy to report that yesterday's NST (which was failed in grand style thanks to even more heartrate variables on 2.0's part) led to another u/s that showed my fluid was back up to 11.1. So I've gotten a bit of a reprieve for the time being. *UPDATE: The good ultrasounds negate the bad NSTs to indicate that all is, apparently, well with 2.0 and her heartrate/amniotic fluid.

2.0 was practicing breathing during yesterday's u/s. Oh, and I was mistaken, I thought my growth u/s was last week but it's actually next week so I have no idea how big this girl is right now. Given the fact that she was almost four pounds roughly a month ago, I'd reason to say she's probably 5+ pounds by now. Especially since she's taking up a lot of room these days and doesn't seem to have much space to move around in. This one is not much of a mover these days, unlike J was at this stage in pg (although, I have to say that since J was so small, I think she had more room to manuever around in--this girl being so much bigger than J was, not so much).

While I was on the NST machine yesterday, I had a huge contraction--but the funny thing is I never felt a thing. I was reading a magazine when I glanced at the tape and saw a giant spike in the uterine contraction section which had taken place minutes before apparently. So that made me feel a little better about the upcoming L&D thing--perhaps I won't have as much discomfort as I did with J. I have a friend who's a L&D nurse and she talked me down from the ledge at my shower, telling me that #1 paves the way for #2 so it's never quite as difficult as the first time. Good to know--hope it's true. Thinking optimistically that it is.

2.0's room is almost done (we just need to put the closet doors back on) but she still does not have a name. Hmm, perhaps we should get going on that...only 5 to 6 weeks, tops, to go--which still makes me say 'holy crap' every time I think about it.

4 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Blogger Cat, Galloping said...

wait, i never had an NST. if she failed but was okay on the u/s, does that mean that everything is now okay? it must be, you don't seem worried, but i don't like the word "failed"!

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about the NST drama, but I'm glad you got a reprieve with the fluid level. Good luck deciding on a name!

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Thank you for posting! I can't help but worry just a tad whenever there's been any sort of NST or fluid level or u/s drama. Even minor drama. Anyway, I'm with cat -- a tiny bit confused. Is all well for the time being?

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger lagiulia said...

I'm glad you have close monitoring and that 2.0 is okay! Keep us posted and take care of yourself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter