/ The RE's Muse: When it rains, it pours

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Monday, August 14, 2006

When it rains, it pours

So Saturday afternoon, I got a sudden sore throat and aching joints. Fast forward a few hours, I've got a raging fever, swollen neck glands, general malaise, you name it.

Today, two days later, I'm as sick as ever. Fever won't go below 100 or above 102, Tyen0l be damned. This morning I saw the ENT--diagnosis: tonsillitis. Though there is a good chance it may be mono (my SIL had it) with a strep chaser. I imagine we'll find out when the culture results come back. I started some antibiotics today so I imagine we'll soon find out if what I've got is bacterial (the antibiotics will work) or viral (they won't).

Now, today miss J wakes up, we notice she's got about four or five little lesions on her face, they look kind of like red ant bites (if you've had the pleasure to experience one of these, you know what I mean). This afternoon, my other SIL calls to tell us that her daughter has a couple of similar lesions on her back and that she was taking her to the ped...yes, you know where this is going, don't you?

Chicken pox. As in, J hasn't yet had the vaccination which is done here at 15 months (her appt next month). As in, I've never had it but have had the vaccination--but there is a 10 % or so chance that it's not 100% effective. As in, I have a fetus onboard...sharing my immunity or lack thereof. As in, I will now quarantine myself even further from miss J for the next week or so.

I spent the entire weekend holed up in our bedroom, alternating between boiling hot and freezing cold as I rode the fever/chills cart. And yes, I'm still riding it. Only now, I've got the added bonus of potential chicken pox to add to the fun. And I'd better not mention the abscess I've got under my boob...the one I see the derm for tomorrow, the one they'll probably lance. The one that they lanced last year but has come back for some unknown reason (probably because the universe thinks it's a comedian).

Good times here, good times. But the dos...well, the doppler is my best friend right now. The dos soldiers on (thank you, thank you, thank you). As you can imagine, I'm in full panic mode here in the Dee house. Full panic mode indeed though happy to report that we officially entered the second trimester this past weekend.

7 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Blogger Cat, Galloping said...

that's a lot to worry about! thinking of you guys.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Oh my goodness. There's nothing I can say to make you feel better at this point, so I'll just stick with this: that all really, really sucks and I hope everyone starts feeling better soon!

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger WriterGrrl said...

Oy! Wow. I hope you're all back to good health quickly.

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Toffee said...

Sorry to hear you are sick...my little one had chicken pox after she got the vaccine (6% of population gets a mild case after the vaccine)...they tend to be less severe when children are smaller.

Hope you are recovering fast...

 
At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! I hope everybody gets better very. very soon. Yuck! I am so sorry, I wish you didn't have this worry.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger VTek said...

Congrats on your second trimester, but holy moly about everything else! My Dee received a chicken pox vaccine last month at her 12-month check-up, and I was told she would have to come back in 3 months for a second dose. And I also remember my doc (when I was ttc) forbidding me from trying for a few months because I had never had chicken pox and needed to get vaccinated. So I certainly felt terrible for you about your predicament(s). Take care!

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger lagiulia said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! I never had chicken pox either, and I had to get the vaccine before trying to get pregnant. Scary, but let's hope your vaccine did the job. Best wishes to you, the dos, and your little girl (and your husband, who probably has his hands full!).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter