/ The RE's Muse: Over before it started

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Friday, June 09, 2006

Over before it started


Woke up this a.m. and it was apparent it's CD1. So much for that then. But if this picture doesn't put a smile on your face today, nothing will. It's her 'official' first birthday picture taken recently.

While this morning's news was a crappy start to my weekend, it's all good. J actually--wait for it--got her first tooth two days ago! So there was indeed something to celebrate in our house this week. It's a bottom right tooth, so cute, and just in time for her b'day party next weekend. No wonder she's been so cranky lately (yeah, so I guess I suck at reading my kid's clues/moods).

Um, so since my kid had no teeth up until recently, we have never brushed 'em for her. Which means that now that there's a. lone. tooth, we will have to start brushing it--any tips on how to make this process easier? I will say that J does not like it when you put your fingers in her mouth--it's met with much raspberrying and spitting to get. you. out. Should make for fun times brushing then, huh? Any helpful hints greatly appreciated.

10 Comments:

At 8:05 AM, Blogger WriterGrrl said...

I keep meaning to leave you a comment and somehow the days get away from me.... Tooth brushing is one of those things I handed over to my husband years ago. He just grabs the kid's face, sticks a brush in, and goes for it, for 30 seconds to a minute, then lets the kid play with the brush for another few minutes. The kid sometimes fights and/or screams, but men are wired differently and don't seem to get so upset by that. Speaking of screaming and fighting, that's what my daughters are doing right now, so off I go.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Cat, Galloping said...

same as above except with one tooth (we have 2) i feel pretty good about a couple of swipes being enough. look out because that tooth's partner is probably going to be up any second!

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I talked with my dentist about this - he says a quick swipe with a clean wet washcloth is all they need at this point. As she gets older and can tolerate a brush, try the fingerbrush from Gerber - it comes with a banana-flavored toothpaste which makes the process a little less traumatic. I've tried both and am sticking with the washcloth for now (though I get bitten regularly - the kid is like a wolverine).
Happy birthday beautiful J!!!

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Kether said...

Well, I don't know if I'm much help, BUT, Liam loves to watch us brush our teeth, so he took to teeth brushing really well. When he is in the bathroom, he points to the sink and says "teeth" because he wants to brush. We started with us brushing our own teeth, then letting him hold the handle to our toothbrushes and brush back and forth on our teeth, and then he naturally wanted to do it on his own. I hope this lasts.

I'm so sorry about the other. I think I'm out for this next cycle, too, since i think D will be gone for my big O day.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger BSumner said...

Look at that beautiful girl!!! Wish I were sitting next to her sipping a margarita. LOL

No clue about teeth yet.. the girls still have none but keep trying to yank their gums out with their little tiny fingers.

I'm so sorry it's CD1 for you. :(

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Toffee said...

Gosh she has gotten so BIG! Teeth mean only one thing...biting. Anyway HAPPY BIRTHDAY LITTLE ONE!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Pam! said...

Connor(11 months)loves getting his 5 teeth brushed. We use that rubber fingertip brush from Gerber and the Strawberry/Banana toothpaste that came with it. I think the flavor of the paste is what does it for him. He's always loved to watch us brush our teeth too! Maybe that will help in the future.

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, we're dealing with the toothbrush thing here too - I jsut shot off a question to AskMoxie about it. I've been warned against the finger toothbrush because the little buggers bite down and ouch! there goes your finger, as they get more teeth.
I'm still struggling to get Polly to take her brush - you'd think a kid who eats toilet paper and ladybugs wouldn't have a problem but..you'd be mistaken. After reading these comments I think I'm going to turn over the whole enterprise to her dad, though.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Cricket said...

Beautiful picture. Love the smile.

My son was 11.5 months when he got his first tooth. Wanted to mention that he's been slow about everything teeth-related since. It's logical. He was late to lose babies and grow permanents. Because of the way is birthday is, he's even a year older than some of his classmates and they're ahead of him, teeth-wise.

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Love the picture - we just had Amanda's done with the SAME backdrop - no cute accessories like she's got, though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter