/ The RE's Muse: Communicating

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Communicating


There has been an interesting development in the house of Dee within the past few days:

J has learned to point at something she wants. Apparently, she put 2 and 2 together and realized that if she points at something, she gets it. Or I guess I should say, mama has realized that when J points at something, she wants it. Since I am but her minion, I oblige.

I wish I could put into words the delight in her eyes when she realized that I (and A) understood what she wanted/was doing when she first pointed at something (her bottle on the table). A lightbulb went off in her head, you could almost hear it click audibly. It was amazing to witness.

It made me think, oddly, of Helen Keller. I think I completely understood how proud her teacher must have been when Helen "got it," when the world of communication unlocked its secrets and the door to the world outside opened up for Helen. Though J is not blind or deaf, it was amazing to me to see the knowledge that she can communicate with us unfold in her mind.

It's just the beginning, I know. And I can't wait to see what the future holds.

4 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Blogger VTek said...

Just like a magic wand -- Bet you'll be getting a workout!

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Miss W said...

Hooray J! So exciting!

 
At 6:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How COOL!

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Absolutely amazing to watch them figure out the world, isn't it? (And so darn cute at the same time!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter