/ The RE's Muse: My poor aching ears

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

My poor aching ears

So it seems that the two gals of the house, me and Miss J, both have ear infections. Mine came courtesy of the cold someone (ahem, guess who) passed along to me a few weeks ago. It was horrendous--enough so that when it came on over a weekend I had to pay a visit to the urgent care center and also had to break into the d*rvocet prescribed to me after the baby's birth. After a ten day heavy duty course of antibiotics, the infection is gone but the fluid remains behind my eardrum, which basically means that I can't hear for crap out of that ear. Rumor has it that it could take an old folk like myself 4-6 weeks to regain my hearing. And if it goes longer than that, my doctor may actually want to put a tube in my ear. Yikes...come on drainage.

As for the little miss, she'd been tugging here and there on her ears during the last week. Then Saturday evening she ran a temp of 102+ which came down into the 101 range with regular doses of infant's tylenol on Sunday. She was bloody miserable and no fun to be around and sleep--hell, calling it that was being generous. Monday A took her to the ped and whaddya know? Ears infected--but just starting the doc said. J also had a ton of ear wax, so much that the doctor commented on it and had to use a loop to get it out (um, yeah, baby not a big fan of that little procedure). So now she's back on a 10 day course of amoxicillin, her second one in the last three weeks (the first was used to treat the "cold" that had lingered and gotten worse over the course of almost all October). Sigh, at least her mood has improved.

It's become apparent to me that day care is the germ's best friend.

3 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger April said...

Poor things! I hope you both get to feeling better soon.

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger Twinkle Toes said...

Awww..poor babies. I hope you have a quick recovery and that J is on the mend too! thinking of you both.... and many [[[hugs]]]

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Ugh...I hope you both feel better soon. Ear infections suck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter