/ The RE's Muse: No news is no news

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

No news is no news

To keep you abreast of the goings-on in my neck o'the woods, last Thursday's visit to DCF with J was an unmitigated success. They were reassured by her very healthy and happy appearance and A and I left there feeling much more reassured than we have since this whole nightmare began a few weeks ago.

As far as I know, we're still under investigation, however, I believe there is only one remaining piece of that puzzle and that is a home visit by the case worker. When we saw her on Thursday, she said she'd be contacting me sometime in the coming weeks to set up a date/time...I took it to mean very good things when she told me that there is no urgency to scheduling the visit. A mere formality perhaps? Hopefully, once it's done, this debacle will be done as well. We'll see.

In the meantime, we go on about our normal lives, albeit with a lot more specialist visits for D lately. She's seen the opthalmologist, hematologist, and neurologist all in the past week. No one has any answers about the febrile seizure--it may have been just an isolated incident given how quickly her temp spiked due to the viral pneumonia and how high it went. She may never have another one; however, since she's had one, and given her history at birth, she's now at a slightly higher risk than normal kids for another febrile seizure going forward should she become feverish.

As you can imagine, I'm under doctor's orders to immediately dose her with both Motrin and Tylenol at the first sign of fever and call our ped. I have also been given a rectal Diastat kit to administer to D should she have any seizures whatsoever. It's essentially Valium administered through the backdoor for quickest absorption and an end to the seizure underway.

D is still slightly anemic and the hematologist expects her to remain on an iron supplement for another month or so. Apparently, when kids (I don't know about adults in this case) deal with a viral infection, it often drains their hemoglobin levels so anemia results. It takes up to a couple of months to rebound so D is essentially being a normal kid in this regard. No worries.

Other than that, the show must go on...D's first birthday is on February 1st with the big party on February 2nd, and it's full steam ahead. I can't believe it's been a whole year already! Where did it go? A and I have a friendly wager going as to whether or not she'll be walking by then. She's thisclose and actually took her first unassisted steps today.

Nothing like taking your time (J started walking at 10 1/2 months; D, not so much) but it does seem like taking time seems to be a theme around here lately, as in, this investigation sure is taking time to be completed...but that's alright, cross their t's, dot their i's, and before long, they'll close it, knowing with 100% certainty that we had nothing to do with D's injury. My heart says it was from one of the handful of "cruising" accidents that she's had the past few months.

Of course, you know what this means now right? I'm watching that girl like a hawk as she makes her way around. No rest for mama.


At 7:32 AM, Blogger Pam! said...

I'm so glad this whole thing is almost over ... all of it! I suppose it's nice to see that the system can work but ironic that your case was the one it 'worked' on. bah!

At 9:20 PM, Blogger Eva said...

That's very exciting about the walking and the party and the birthday! Best wishes.

So sorry you had to deal with this. I"m very glad she's getting good medical help.

At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that everything with D checks out as time goes by. Watching for a child's development when they had health issues, especially brain-related, is much different than sitting back and enjoying each new thing in a care-free manner. Keep in mind, of course, that 10 1/2 months is really very early for walking. My M, who has no problems at all, didn't walk until 14 months- neither did my sister and I. I think it sounds like D is doing splendidly! Lots of love to you and yours.


Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter