/ The RE's Muse: My (eye) bags are packed

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

My (eye) bags are packed

About those eye bags in the last picture...yeah, a few weeks back we transitioned J from her crib to a full-size big-girl bed (otherwise known as "what in the hell were we thinking?").

We held off as long as we thought possible--waiting until we caught her red-handed jumping out of her crib when she didn't want to take a nap. Imagine A's surprise when he opened her door to check on her and there she was, striding up to him. So, being the suckers doting parents that we are, we made a trip to a big-box kid's furniture store and $2K (I shit you not) later, there went our somewhat restful nights. (Okay, but in my defense at dropping so much $, we expect that this set should last her through the teen years; still, talk about sticker shock.)

Sweet tender mercy, what I would give for 7 to 8 uninterrupted hours of sleep. Between J getting up out of bed, or calling out to us, or walking into our room, and the little one waking up once a night for a bit of a nosh, I am plumb wore out.

Our (11th) anniversary is next month. We've come up with a wonderful way to celebrate--we're going to go out to dinner, just the two of us, and then stay the night at a local beachfront resort...all in the name of sleep. I can think of no better way to mark the occasion.

Decadence, I tell you, decadence.

4 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger Toffee said...

Sleep, the biggest pleasure for mothers of people under 3.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Antropóloga said...

Ooh, that anniversary sounds very nice. I hope you make the most of it!

Hopefully the novelty of the big girl bed will wear off soon!

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger Erica Kain said...

Hey Dee -- how awesome that you have such great anniversary plans to look forward to!

Tonight found me desperately thumbing through Dr. Weissbluth's sleep book AGAIN (that thing is greasy and worn out from my thumbing) because Chebbles is doing the same damn thing with myriad sleep disturbances. Except I haven't gotten her the big girl bed yet (despite two horrifying head-thumping crib escapes). What's up with these little chicks??? Go to friggin' SLEEP!

Dr. Weissbluth advised that, for a restless 2-year-old, to set a timer for the bedtime routine, then get the hell out of there and leave her to cry it out.

Oh, and I have another friend who set up a baby gate and her daughter's door when she transitioned to a big girl bed. Stay in there, chickadee!

GOOD LUCK and I hope you get some sleep soon.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Wow, that is a pretty steep price to pay for a bed. My own set doesn't even cost that much, lol. I guess I'm just cheap. I hope she will enjoy it for many, many, MANY years to come!

Well happy 11th anniversary. Your plans sound lovely. I completely understand the desire for sleep. Lately my son's been getting up super early, like 6 or 7 am. I've gotten used to sleeping til 9 am every morning. I guess the cold weather is the blame for all this disruption in our comfortable sleep pattern. May you get all the sleep you need. I can't wait to hear all about your trip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter