/ The RE's Muse: Bloodied but not beaten

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Bloodied but not beaten

So we survived our trip. Surprisingly, J was relatively good on both flights (actually, she slept most all of the return trip--however, said sleeping was done entirely on me despite the fact that we purchased her her own seat). There was only one small twenty-minute area on the flight to our destination that made me wish for a black hole to suck me out of the plane and magically transport me somewhere, anywhere, else but there. I think even she knew she'd had enough at that point as she turned to A and said, "Daddy, enough airplane."

D slept most of the way on the flight there and back, which is pretty much what we expected.

While we were away, the little lasses charmed our distant family members--many of whom had not seen J since she was D's age and who had not yet met D. She obliged them all with many smiles and laughing. Well played smart baby, well played.

Getting through security wasn't too painful. I went through with 5 filled bottles of formula each time and nary an eyelash was batted. They also had no issues with all of the little people liquid accoutrements we required (phenobarb--hurrah, we are now done with it for good!, infant's tylenol, infant's motrin, teething gel, toddler toothpaste, yada yada yada).

Alas, not all was golden on the trip. J basically took no naps whatsoever during our away time and was reluctant to go to bed at her usual time. There was a lovely "I want my Daddy" tantrum during the quiet wedding ceremony that saw me carry her flailing self off into the field away from the (outdoor) setting all while keeping an eye on D, happily chewing on her toys in the stroller back at our seat. Alas, Daddy was a groomsman so he could not indulge J just then--or for most of the evening for that matter. Good times.

D continued/s to wake up most nights, sometimes 2, 3, or even 4 times (on one rare occasion) a night. CIO was enforced last night. What can I say?

I'm tired, oh so tired. But that is to be expected of life with a toddler and a baby. I figure I'll get some sleep again one day...some day off in the distant future. Or perhaps I'll just get enough sleep when I die.


At 3:02 AM, Blogger Chebbles' Mama said...

Welcome home! It sounds like many adventures were had by all. You are a hero for bringing your gals to a wedding. What bad timing for an "I want Daddy!" attack!

Chebbles has tried to do some waking up shenanigans lately too. And because I have insomnia, I've just been going in and rocking with her and dicking around in her room in the middle of the night.

Our solution was: Grandma. My mom came to stay, and I put her in charge of the nights. I should mention that my mom is deaf when she sleeps because she puts her "good ear" on the pillow. So unless Chebbles hollers at the top of her lungs, Grandma is unintentionally letting her CIO. And the night wakings have stopped. So I hope you have the same success. If not, my mom likes Florida! :-)

At 11:00 AM, Blogger Eva said...

Did you bring an ice pack for the pre-made formula? I always use powder so I never know how people deal with ready-made formula.

Glad it went well! Totally jealous since our plane trips were horrific.

At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Day said...

Welcome back! So nice D could meet the family and was well-behaved. Simon is super-daddy oriented lately and cries out for him whenever/wherever, so I feel your pain at the wedding (flailing child - yes, good times indeed). Oy.

At 2:47 PM, Blogger Katie said...

for some reason, i couldn't post a comment on the new pic of your girls. anyway, they are too cute! such happy little girls.


Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter