/ The RE's Muse: DT and Leaving on a Jet Plane

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

DT and Leaving on a Jet Plane

So, remember that big four-day hospital scare back in June? The one where docs thought D might have had bacterial meningitis following her reaction to her 4-month vaccinations? The one that I never want to experience anything like again?

Yeah, that one. So our pediatrician had to go with the thought that it was a reaction to the pertussis vaccine, part of the DTaP shot. So she decided that, going forward, there would be no P in any of D's future DTaP shots.

True to her word, last week (at just over 6 1/2 months old), when D got her 6 month vaccinations, that shot was merely a DT. Which is kind of a bad thing, because pertussis (aka whooping cough) is back on the rise in this country but the doc wants to do what's best for D, and if that means not getting it, then so be it. I'm alright with that decision.

I'm happy to report that D had no reaction to any shots this time, just some minor sleep disturbances (that have yet, unfortunately, to resolve themselves). She weighed in at an impressive 18 lbs., and 26 inches long, with a lovely noggin circumference. All on track, between 75th and 90th percentiles.

This week, the four of us are going on vacation, one that involves a two-hour plane ride. Did you catch that? The four of us? Two of whom are a 26-month old, and an almost 7-month old? The last time we went on this same trip to see family, it was just 3 of us, and J was almost 7-months old--the exact (and I mean, to the week) same age that D is now. It wasn't too bad (after all, we had a ratio of two parents to one child) but nowadays, well, let's just say that J is fully embracing her terrible two's--along with her terrific two's. But it's hard to know on a minute-to-minute basis which one you're going to be graced with.

I've got tons of new small toys and a DVD player/movies (and child-sized headphones) purchased specifically for this occasion. They are all in hiding. She's never seen them and won't until we're on board. Thankfully, J is a big fan of airplanes ("Look Mommy--airplane high up in the sky!" just about every time she sees one). I'm hoping the novelty of actually being on a plane high up in the sky will go a long way as will all those new toys.

Alas, like they say, "what goes around, comes around." Therefore, for every dirty look I ever gave a parent with a baby coming on a plane I was on, I'm sure going to get it doubled back at me. For every time I rolled my eyes and made annoyed faces at a screaming baby or toddler in the row ahead of me, I'm going to get mine. And for every chant in my head of "please don't sit by me, please don't sit by me" I ever thought as an approaching mother or father and child/ren came my way on a plane, it's going to come back to bite me on the ass.

If there's such a thing as travel karma when you have kids, I'm fucked.

P.S. If any of you lovely gals have traveled with your small fry/fries recently, just how much liquid (specifically, formula) can I bring through security? I've heard that it can be more than the 3 oz. if you have babies/children but you have to let them know about it all. Any truth to that? Or am I just basically screwed any way I look at it? Plus, any other tips you can share to help make this trip as good as can be expected?

5 Comments:

At 5:47 PM, Blogger Cat, Galloping said...

when we traveled last year, we just brought powder formula and requested a few bottles of water as soon as we boarded the plane. good luck!

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we traveled in the spring, I had 8 oz boxes of milk that security didn't even comment on. I've also been able to buy water and milk in shops/restaurants on the gate-side of security and fill empty sippy cups from those.

Good luck!

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I can't wait to hear about how your plane ride goes! I've always wondered how babies and toddlers do on those.

If we're lucky and we have enough time and money, we're taking our twins to CA this Christmas. The plane ride will be btw 4-5 hrs! I just know it'll be hell for us so we really have to think about this.

Hope everything goes okay for you.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger WriterGrrl said...

We flew with ALL FOUR of ours, which includes THE GIANT 3-YEAR-OLD and the 18-month-old and the 6 and 8 year old girls who you'd think would be easy, but you'd be wrong.

Anyway, flying with kids sucks, but as long as you go into it knowing that, you'll be fine. Pack yourself a magazine or two, because MAYBE you'll get to read a bit, but the rest of your carryon is all about them. Flight attendants are usually OK about diluting apple juice for you, and yes, you can bring all your formula, just show it to them.

Smile at everyone, and start by apologizing. I find this wins people over quickly.

I also on occasion offer to sell them cheap to our seatmates, although I remember a Naked Ovary post where Karen was horrified by such a comment. Oh well. There are days when I would pay ANYONE to take the kids for FIVE MINUTES.

Good luck.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Antropóloga said...

We traveled a few months ago. Basically the security opinions on baby stuff vary widely, but in general you can bring all the powder you want and all the water IN bottles and cups you want and all the premade formula.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter