/ The RE's Muse: Chompers

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Chompers

This morning, J had her first ever dental visit. Yeah, the screaming and what not? That was a lot of fun. The hygenist told me she had been working with kids for 17 years. Of course I had to ask if she preferred the yelling, kicking, thrashing, etc., of the wee people to working with adults and she replied, "Any day." Masochist.

So, do you think it's a bad sign when your kid's dentist advises you to start saving now for the orthodontic fund?

J's teeth are pretty malpositioned and crowded, esp the bottom. There's a chance her permanent teeth may not come in as badly as the baby teeth have but we'll have to wait and see.

Both A and I had braces (me as an adult, he as a teen) so we both have no doubt that J and D will more than likely need them one day as well. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

As for D, she saw the dr the other day for a lovely case of goopy eye. At 3 months old, she's up to 13 lbs., 2 oz. and firmly in the 75th percentile weight-wise. Thankfully, she's been at that ranking all along or else I'd be worried that my kid was giant...because, really, the rolls, they're everywhere. You've got to push a couple of extra ones out of the way if you get what I mean when it's time to wipe the bits clean.

Apparently, I gave birth to a miniature female version of the Staypuft Marshmallow Man.

But cuter, and with more rolls...though just as white.

You'd never guess we live in the Sunshine State by looking at her. Feh, like I'm one to talk.

7 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, Blogger Klynn said...

Wow, I haven't taken Boog to the dentist, yet. He just turned 3. Of course, he has nice straight little teeth, and will sort-of let me brush them on a regular basis, so I don't think he's got any tooth worries to speak of, as of yet (knock on wood).

Bob, however, won't let him have suckers if he can help it. Bob had SO many cavities growing up, until his mom married a dentist. He blamed it on his grandmother keeping a huge bag of suckers that the kids had constant access to.

I'm sure that little miss D will grow out of her roly-poly-ness, but for now, just rub the buddah-belly for luck.

By the way, we'll be heading down closer to your neck of the woods around the end of this month. (See today's post on my blog.) Let me know if there's any possibility of a meet-up. We've got a pretty full schedule down there, but Memorial Day, and 6/2 are possibilities.

Give those cutie girls a squeeze!

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Cricket said...

I have an orthodontist post brewing, had the need for a consult confirmed this week for my son. Been doing lots of research online. Orthodontic assns say all children should be evaluated (many do it free) at age 7. The jaw is easiest to widen in those next few years. It amazes me how much prelim stuff they do and how short the wearing of braces can be, especially with things like the Damon system, which BTW rarely requires teeth be pulled - a major issue in my book.

Okay, I'll make my post later, but I find the topic fascinating - had braces twice and know now there are much better ways.

PS - I'm coming down in August. Cannot wait for the change of scenery.

Also, it is wonderful how the babe is thriving.

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Cricket said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Toffee said...

Eeeek! dentist.. I have been putting that off...Between all the ice pops, gummy fruits, and ice cream, I better get with the program. You go mom of 2!!

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Heather said...

You are a brave, brave woman. P & E haven't been to the dentist yet, and honestly, I don't plan on doing it anytime soon. It's more trauma than I think I can handle right now!

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger Erica Kain said...

That's hilarious that she prefers the kids... man, adult dentistry must be abject torture!
And I'm with you on the braces. As every new tooth emerges for Chebbles, I stare at the placement, WILLING her to get her Daddy's teeth and not mine. Mine were a disaster that my parent's friends STILL make fun of, despite all those years of braces and retainers. Better luck with D!!

 
At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, I've been putting off the dentist visit for the Smackeroo, mostly because of the chaos which will no doubt ensue. You're my hero.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter