/ The RE's Muse: There's no place like home

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

There's no place like home


By g-d, was it nice to sleep in my own bed last night with Daniela's co-sleeper mere inches away. Suprisingly, I slept well and didn't at all mind the 2 a.m. feeding.


The monitor has been quiet with the exception of a few "loose connection" alarms but they're a one beep alert and not some screaming banshee of a beep system. I almost feel like we're back to the 'normal' newborn phase again and that the NICU was a bad dream. Alas, I know that it wasn't and that we've still got a slew of doctor visits ahead of us in the next two months but that's a very small price to pay for the delicious little girl who finally came home with us yesterday.


Despite the fact that I slept well last night, I didn't sleep long so I'm trying to sleep when she sleeps but--just as it was difficult to do when we brought Juliana home--it's even more difficult to do now with a toddler running around.


Speaking of that toddler :-), she's really stepped up the big sister plate. When I pulled up yesterday, A brought Juliana out to the car and showed her Daniela. Her eyes got so big, they honestly did look like saucers. Then when we brought Daniela inside in her car seat, Juliana wanted to touch her feet and her toes, and kiss her face (and yes, we let her do all of those things so she knows that she's a part of her life too and that Daniela is not "off limits" to her).


Today she's helped me feed her by holding the bottle, and also patted her back along with me when it was time for a post-feeding burp.


To say that I cried big sloppy tears of happiness and everything else when Juliana took her first look at Daniela would be an understatement. It was just so wonderful to have that day finally arrive, and to see the four of us standing there. Times like those, I wish someone was there to take our picture but it likely would have ruined the moment.


Another image burned into memory of a day I never expected to have.

13 Comments:

At 10:58 PM, Blogger Erica Kain said...

I think you DID take a picture of that moment, Dee. And thank you for sharing it with all of us. I'm so happy for you!

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Toffee said...

Oh what a cute picture! So glad to hear she is home and that you all are together.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger ladybug said...

WOWIE - those dark eyes are soooo captivating... *delicious* is a perfect description of your new little baby girl!!! its soooo awesome that J is into being a big sister... both of them are very lucky :)

please snuggle that baby from a blog-auntie, ok? and hugs for the wonderful big sister, too!

 
At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I opened your blog page this morning and literally gasped with cuteness when I saw Daniela's pic. Those eyes...oh my! I love the J story - and I love that you slept well (at least for a bit) and normalcy seems to be on its way.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger lagiulia said...

That's really beautiful- all of it. That baby is incredibly cute! And I loved the description of the big sister. How sweet that she already wants to be involved!
I'm glad the monitor is not too bothersome. I'm also glad they let you go home with a monitor instead of keeping her in the NICU to monitor her further. What a relief to have her home. I am incredibly happy for you and wish you nothing but the best as you adjust to your new family life!

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Look at that beautiful baby! Too smoochable for words. And, by the way, the mental picture of the four of you together brought tears to the eyes of this pregnancy-hormone addled girl.

 
At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you are all home together!

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger VTek said...

Ditto, and Daniela is precious!

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Cat, Galloping said...

congratulations! so glad you guys are all together now.

if/when you have to give that hospital monitor back, go get the angelcare monitor. it will do wonders for your peace of mind!

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Lollipop Goldstein said...

Congratulations on coming home!

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Kether said...

Beautiful.


I am so. so. so glad she's home.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

So sweet.

She's home!

I'm thrilled for all of you.

 
At 1:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dee,

I'm so sorry I'm a bit late to the party but YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!! I'm so glad to hear she's home with you. And what a beaut! You did good Momma!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter