/ The RE's Muse: NICU day 6...looking up

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

NICU day 6...looking up

I can barely contain my happiness today--Daniela was taken off of the ventilator at 9 a.m. this morning!

Since yesterday, as she'd been coming out from the phenobarb haze more and more, she'd been showing signs of fighting the tube...so this morning the doc and respiratory therapist made the decision to take it out. Daniela has been seizure-free for more than 24 hours now and has had no additional apnea episodes so she is tube-free. According to today's nurse, she woke up for a bit before A and I got there for our morning visit. She had her eyes open, was looking around--must have thought 'where the hell am I?' and promptly went back to sleep. It was so nice to see her face without anything on it!

She also had a consult with the pediatric opthalmologist today who declared her eyes to be just fine (thankfully, I had been so worried about that) so more good news.

While we were there, the neonatologist came by to give us the results of the MRA. Basically, they were good. The MRA showed no evidence suggesting a stroke (the original MRI showed the brain injury and the call was made that it was a stroke) but that may not be the case based on the more in-depth MRA findings. The only potential wrench I see in this is that the MRA done yesterday they did without contrast dye since Daniela was on the vent. Now that she's off it (knock wood she stays off), it's my thought that they may want to repeat it in the coming days, this time with contrast to see if perhaps that finds something more conclusive. But who knows? The other thing is that the brain injury could have healed itself by now and that is why it did not show up on the MRA.

So that's the big news from my part of the country. Oh, and my crying has tapered off a bit too in this past day. I think I've only had two or three episodes tops, as opposed to my usual twelve or thirteen. I know, I know...good days and bad. But today is shaping up to be one of the good ones.

I can't wait to get back there for tonight's visit.

16 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dee, I'm so happy to read this that I can hardly see straight (there's water in my eyes for some reason...). I've been checking back here ever since Menita wrote her heads-up, and I'll keep the good thoughts and prayers coming. Best wishes to you and your beautiful little girl.

-Kristin

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Heather said...

What wonderful news! I couldn't be happier for all of you. That just made my day!

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Cricket said...

Excellent! She's looking around and breathing normally. Such good news. Now you're crying more for joy, but that's okay, too.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger lagiulia said...

Yayayayayayay!
I am thrilled with all your good news. I hope they don't have to do an MRA with contrast, but I'm sure she'll be fine through whatever else is left as far as tests go. She sounds like a strong one! I am just so happy that things are looking up. Much love to you and yours.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Erica Kain said...

I am so excited to hear this good news, Dee! You are a great mom -- and now she's really going to "see" that!!!

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Klynn said...

Wonderful news. I understand you're in *south* FL? I'm close, but not sure how close. I'd love to be able to offer some moral support locally. (Been down the NICU road twice, but I know you're WAY too busy to bother checking my blog to read about it.) Added you to my Google Reader, so I can see the updates. Still saying a prayer, and thinking good thoughts for you and yours. Keep the good news coming, there are a lot of us out here rooting for y'all.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Miss W said...

Such good news, Dee! You have no idea how happy for you we all are. Looking forward to the post that says she gets to come home with you!

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Yay!!! I read it out loud to hubby. We are both thrilled for you and your family.

Keeping up the good thoughts that Daniela will be home with all of you soon!

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Dee!!!!!

That's the MOST fabulous news.

I couldn't be happier!!!!

Well, yes, I could, but that day will come soon...when she's home!!!

xoxoxoxoxoxo to you, hubby, J and D....

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger Thalia said...

Wonderful news, I'm so pleased!

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Pam! said...

YESSSSS!!
Great news and it just keeps getting better. I can't wait to read the post that says she's coming home. So when do we get more pics? heh heh

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Klynn said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I would email you, but can't find an email link anywhere on your profile or blog. I'll just say that if you take the nearest interstate north to the big circle before the state line, you'd be in my town. Hope you're at the NICU right now getting some sweet, healthy little snuggles. If you ever wanna talk or try to arrange a meet up (next time I make it down south), feel free to email me at klynnd at gmail dot com.

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to hear positive things are happening.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Kay said...

Hooray for the good days. I hope there are many more to come!

 
At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HURRAY!!!

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh yay!!!! That is such wonderful news! I hope you and she just keep on getting better and better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter