/ The RE's Muse: Back to zero

The RE's Muse

After 4 years of infertility, 2 surgeries, 1 miscarriage, and 19 months of high risk pregnancies, hubby and I now have two little women in our lives--one a toddler, the other not far behind. Buckle your seatbelts, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Thursday, October 07, 2004

Back to zero

So yesterday I had a beta. Nope, not 'cause I thought I was preggers. Simply to make sure that my body knew I was no longer preggers--and you know what? It did. Hooray me!

Of course, I did have to tell the nurse doing the blood draw that if some behind-the-scenes lab monkey called me with the results and prefaced it with "I'm so sorry, you're not pg" I was going to laugh maniacly/scream/cry/curl up in the fetal position (how appropos) because, um, yeah...no shit sherlock. She made careful note of the fact that the beta was a post-D&C so that said lab monkey would not be on the receiving end of my potential breakdown. Bless her heart. Happy to report that the message got through, loud and clear. Houston, your beta is negative.

So with that behind me, bright and early next Wednesday morning (CD13) Dr. Rub will graciously inject my ute full of saline to check it for any rocky outcroppings, a la Pike's Peak, while I ride the dildocam at the same time. Whoo-hoo--hold on tight, it's gonna be a fun ride! I had this done once before, with the previously unmentioned Dr. Insulin in Atlanta and--ack, my g-d, the pain, the grossness, the dribble/gush factor, the embarrassment (yeah, I know, need to get over that one), and the completely normal results. So now we do it again...to make sure there's nothing left in there (hello? anyone for some spelunking?) and that the ol' lining looks normal before starting stims again with my next AF. Bring it on, I say!

The nurse who scheduled the SIS (saline infusion sonogram in case you're not familiar with that one; I knew it previously as SHG, sonohysterogram) made me promise not to get pregnant before it's done. Hahahaha...whew boy, that was a good one. Had to pick myself up off the floor there before I told her that wasn't likely to happen without medical intervention. She said 'you'd be surprised..." Heehehe, there she goes again, cutting up, what a card. She really should consider taking her schtick on the road.

For the record, this will be the 5th time in 6 months (!) that Dr. Rub has his face in my cooter--and I mean, UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL, plying her with tools and gadgets galore. Seems like he's seeing it more than my husband is these days...and that is one sorry state of affairs.

8 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Blogger Julianna said...

I'm glad your test came back negative. Didn't think I would ever type that to someone about a beta test!

Good luck with everything.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Glad the beta was negative and you can move on.
Hope the old ute is free of rocky outcroppings.
Good luck!

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that the tests came back the way they needed to (not how they should have come back, because we all SHOULD be pregnant).

Good luck with the rest of your tests. After my miscarriage, since I didn't need to do a D&C, my acupuncturist game me some of the nastiest, foulest stuff you've ever smelled and had me drink it twice a day. I swear, it could have dissolved bone it was so nasty. My doctor wanted me to do one more beta test to make sure it was negative and I declined. After 2 weeks of that crap I was drinking, nothing could have survived in my body, so that residual HCG was screwed. I didn't need to spend another $80 for some lab monkey to say, "It's negative." Thanks, but I'd rather buy something on Ebay.

xxxooo,
Emily
scrambledeggs

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger JenP said...

Wishing the best and hoping that things move on really well and soon!

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Stacy said...

I had the same test several months ago. It was awful. Very painful dispite the prescription level Naproxen I was taking. UGH! I hope this one goes better for you.

 
At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad this can allow you to move foreward.

Marla

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Stacy said...

Dee, what kind of Naproxen are you taking for the saline infusion? Is it over the counter or prescription? I just took 1 550 mg Naproxen. It was not painful afterward just during when they were doing the u/s while my uterus was full of water. I had 2-3 bad cramps. My eyes watered but then it was over. The water gushing out was kinda gross but it all came out at once and didnt "drip" out like they said it would. Probably TMI but when I stood up the water was dripping out very quickly. I gave one or two big pushes, using the "gown/over sized paper towel" to catch it all and it all came out. I still used a pad but never had a drop on it and felt fine the rest of the day. I know others who have had it done and never felt anything. I really hope it goes well for you and that you get an all clear from it.

Blessings!

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger E. said...

I hope this is the beginning of better days ahead, Dee. You've been through 'way too much. Sending you good thoughts...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter