That's my lesson for today. I mean, after all, life is what happens when you make plans.
Yesterday's NST at the peri saw 2.0 having a ton of heartrate variables. One biophysical profile later, we learn that my amniotic fluid has gone from 9.5 on Friday to 6.2 yet I don't seem to be leaking (that I can feel, at least). A quick call to my OB on call to update her on the latest info...do not pass go, do not collect $200. Get thee to the big level III hospital down the road, do not eat or drink, you're gonna have this baby.
The family emergency alert goes up so that someone can pick up/take care of J, while A is dispatched home from work asap (a biggie considering he works almost 100 miles from our home). I drive to the hospital, am admitted, blood is drawn, an IV started, etc. A arrives about 2 hours after I'm admitted.
But then...what's that? The OB on call at the hospital (who is affiliated with my practice, though somewhat indirectly--my practice has five branches in our county and I'm seen by the north county group while the hospital OB was from the central county group) doesn't seem to think there are enough reasons to induce me. And the biggest reason not to induce me? The baby is still too young in his opinion and she looks fine on the NSTs they're running round-the-clock on her.
According to the nurse (one of three who will care for me during my time there), the doctors on call all took a consensus and decide that both the baby and I will be monitored closely while I'll be given IV fluids and a repeat u/s done the next day (today) to see if the AFI had improved.
Fast forward to this morning...the u/s tech comes to my hospital room and does the scan. AFI shows 6.0 (can I please get a break?)...but wait, what's that? As she's doing the scan, 2.0 moves, opening up a larger pocket and the tech remeasures--AFI is at 7.7. Acceptable to the M.D. consensus as well as to my peri (who knows about my practice's OB on call, her name is not mentioned in what I'm told).
My peri is on call at the hospital today and tells the nurse that she will personally come by to see me around lunchtime and make a decision but that, ultimately, it looks as though she'll be sending me home so long as she's happy with my appearance, i.e, no swelling, etc.
The peri comes, is very pleased with my appearance, very pleased with baby's overnight NSTs, very pleased with my overnight BPs, and labs. I'm discharged around 1:30 this afternoon (and I won't complain about the speeding ticket I got a mere 3 miles from home, rushing to get home and see J, who I miss so dearly--and no, the hospital bracelets and IV bandages did not get me any sympathy from the cop).
Home I am now and where I remain for now. While not on complete bedrest, I've got orders to lay down as much as possible with my feet up and drink lots of fluids. I'm to attend my regularly scheduled NSTs this week and next...and the peri is comfortable with my OB's tentative plan to deliver me next weekend (on the 27th or later) at 37+ weeks.
Now, please, just let my AFI cooperate to get me there. As the cliche goes, if it's not one thing, it's another.